Police Beat: November 20

‘Just doing your job’

A UA student was arrested for minor in possession of alcohol and false reporting to a law enforcement agency near Highland Avenue on Saturday at around noon.

Three UA students were walking near the Highland tunnel. Two of the students were sipping out of beer cans when a University of Arizona Police Department officer activated his patrol lights to get their attention.

The two students that were drinking pulled more cans of beer out of their pockets and placed them on the ground in front of the officer.

The students said they were on their way to tailgate for the football game and they thought it was okay to have open containers of alcohol on campus during game days. The officer told them they could only drink alcohol in specific tailgating areas.

The officer then asked for the students’ identification and confirmed that two of them were old enough to drink.

The third student told the officer he didn’t have a form of identification with him and said his birthday was on June 23, 1993.

The officer told the student there was no record for him under that birth date and asked again, noting the student’s bloodshot, watery eyes. The student said his birthday was on June 23, 1992 the second time, but again the officer could not find a record that matched.

The officer found a record for his name with a June 2, 1993 birth date.

After confirming it was him the student apologized for lying and said, “I have my beliefs about the statues, but I know you are just doing your job.”

The student was cited and released and referred to the Dean of Students Office. The other two students were released on the scene as well.

Insufficient funds

A non- UA affiliated man was arrested for shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore on Saturday at around 3 p.m.

A UAPD officer was called to the scene after the man was uncooperative with loss prevention employee from the bookstore. The loss prevention employee told the officer he saw the man take two t-shirts and drape then over his shoulder then proceed to walk out of the bookstore. The shirts were valued at about $25.

When the loss prevention employee tried to confront the man about stealing the items the man refused to go back to the bookstore to return the stolen items.

Once the employee told the suspect that he was going to call the police, he returned to the bookstore and began to comply with the employees.

The officer read the man Miranda Rights, The man said he understood and told the officer that he simply grabbed the items and did not plan on paying for them because he couldn’t afford them.

He told the officer that he had a credit card on him but there were insufficient funds to pay for the items.

The man was cited and released at the scene and the merchandise was returned to the bookstore.

Hide and Seek

Two UA students were cited and released on drug charges while outside of Coconino Residence Hall on Saturday at 10:30 p.m.

A UAPD Officer responded to the scene after another officer advised him that he saw two students smoking in the area.

The officer saw two men walking around the area smoking and asked them to stop. One of the students quickly stopped and placed something behind a tree and then proceeded to walk toward the officer.

The officer looked behind the tree and found a wooden one-hitter pipe, a multi-colored glass pipe and a lighter.

The officer noticed the students had glossy eyes and their taste buds appeared to be tinted green and raised.

The one-hitter and the glass pipe had burnt, green residue which looked like marijuana.

The student who placed the items behind the tree denied that the items were his and said he did not pay for the marijuana.

The other student told the officer the items were his and that they had been smoking marijuana before the officer saw them.

Both students were cited and released on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia.

– Follow Adriana Espinosa @adri_eee