UA Alert service begins

UA Alert, the UA’s new emergency text messaging service, goes into effect today.

The service will send out messages during emergencies and drills to alert members of the campus community – including parents, who can also sign up for UA Alert.

A version of the e2campus emergency text messaging service instituted at universities nationwide, including NAU and Arizona State University, UA Alert “”has been talked about for well over a year,”” said Johnny Cruz, UA director of media relations. “”We’ve been testing it out among employees.””

UA Alert is designed to get messages “”to the broad campus community quickly,”” and supplements other communication methods like e-mail, Cruz said.

UA Alert is run

by the Campus Emergency Response Team and will be used only in times of emergency, not for solicitation, Cruz said. Anyone with a UA NetID can sign up.

President Robert Shelton and the Associated Students of the University of Arizona will be promoting the service on the UA Mall today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Upon graduation, students can unsubscribe from the service or give it an expiration date to prevent unnecessary messaging, as relevant text messaging charges apply.

To sign up for UA Alert, go to http://alerts.arizona.edu.