Arizona softball team defeats Mississippi State in extra innings to take opening game of Super Regional

Nathanial Stenchever

Janelle Meono an outfielder on the Arizona softball team stands and waits for the 2 inning to start on March 12 in Rita Hillenbrand Memorial Stadium. The Wildcats would go on to win 10-6.

The Arizona softball team headed to Starkville, Miss where they took on Mississippi State in the opening game of a best-of-three Super Regional series on Friday.

It was a pitchers duel early between Hanah Bowen and Mississippi State starter Annie Willis as both teams were held scoreless through four innings. Bowen worked out of trouble early and often as the Bulldogs put multiple runners on base in the second, third and fourth innings. Bowen stranded seven runners in those three frames. 

Mississippi State struck first with a solo home run hit by Mia Davidson in the fifth inning. 

That lead did not last long as Allie Skaggs opened the sixth inning with a home run to put the Wildcats on the board and tie the game 1-1. Izzy Pacho followed with a double, but a strikeout by Carlie Scupin followed by Paige Dimler lining into a double play ended that threat for Arizona.

The Bulldogs took the lead back the next half inning with a solo home run hit by Matalasi Faapito to give Mississippi State a 2-1 lead. They put two runners on base with two outs looking to add to the lead, but Bowen stranded them to keep the Wildcats within one run heading into the 7th inning. Arizona was down to their final three outs needing one run to tie the game with the bottom of the lineup due up. 

RELATED: Arizona softball defeat Illinois and Missouri to advance to the Super Regional round for the eighth straight season 

Blaise Biringer opened the frame with a walk. Sophia Carroll attempted to lay down a sacrifice bunt which was successful, but upon review by the umpires she was awarded first base on catchers interference. After Jasmine Perezchica struck out, Janelle Meono singled to load the bases with one out. Sharlize Palacios stepped up to the plate, batting and fouling off a few pitches before she hit a sacrifice fly to tie the game 2-2. Skaggs went on to ground into a fielders choice to end the threat. 

Bowen came back out in the seventh inning, retiring Mississippi State in order to send the game to extra innings. 

After hitting a double in her last at-bat, Pacho opened the eighth inning with a solo home run to give Arizona the 3-2 lead. 

Bowen came back out in the bottom half of the inning to attempt to finish the complete game. After walking the first batter, she retired the next three Bulldog hitters to finish the complete game across 156 pitches and secure the win for the Wildcats. 

Arizona will look to secure a trip to the Women’s College World Series Saturday with first pitch scheduled for 1:00 p.m. MST on ESPNU. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter