Welcome to the Dirty T: Fourth Avenue vintage shop owner ditched her degree for her dreams

Crissy Burgstaler, owner of How Sweet It Was, poses for a photo in her shop on Sunday, Sept. 27. How Sweet It Was is a vintage clothing shop on North Fourth Avenue.

Crissy Burgstaler, the kind owner of How Sweet It Was, a vintage clothing shop on North Fourth Avenue, has become both a successful business woman and welcomed member of Tucson.

Burgstaler worked at the store for 12 years before owning it for the past two years. “I had worked here while I was in college at the [UA] and I was a super part time, Saturday night girl,” Burgstaler said. “I fell in love with it and the timing was right, so when the owner wanted to retire, I took over the shop.”

Burgstaler now has a degree in anthropology from the UA. She said her time studying anthropology wasn’t really all that important regarding her current job. “Uh, yeah, I do not use my degree at all—I didn’t need a degree to get where I am,” Burgstaler said.

Though she hardly uses her degree these days, it did take her to Japan.

“I graduated and went to Japan for a year and taught English, I did that whole thing. And when I was there, I was like, ‘Ah, I don’t think I’ll come back to Tucson. I don’t know where I want to move,’” Burgstaler said. “After a year of being really lonely, I thought I just [wanted] to go somewhere where I know people. So I got my job back and the opportunity was presented and I decided I would stay in Tucson. I didn’t think that was my fate, but I like Tucson and everything worked out.”

Even though her life “took a left turn,” Burgstaler is happy with where she is and has learned a lot, mostly about business.

“If you do take on a business venture, be really smart about it and don’t get talked out of critical things, like having an attorney represent you and getting … yeah I don’t want to get to into that,” Burgstaler laughed. “You know, even you think it is the most kosher thing, like, yeah, we’re friends, I’ve worked here forever and everything is awesome; [but] when it comes down to business, no matter who it is with, you really need to cover your bases and be really smart about it. Oh, and keep business and friendship separate. That really is a thing.”

Follow Thea Van Gorp on Twitter.