Police Beat: October 26

Is that your best excuse?

A University of Arizona Police Department officer stopped a red Ford Mustang driving twice as fast as the speed limit near Vine Avenue and Speedway Boulevard at 12:45 p.m. on Oct. 23. The sports car was clocked going 70 mph.

Upon pulling the vehicle over, the officer saw a man and woman in the car. Initially the driver denied having either his license or registration, but upon being told he was under arrest for excessive speed, he provided an Arizona driver’s license.
When asked why he was speeding, the man replied, “Officer, this car just goes fast.”

Further inspection found the vehicle’s registration was suspended. The officer removed the car’s plates and the officer informed the man that he couldn’t drive until the registration was reinstated. The man was cited and released.

You won’t chat away the charges

UAPD officers stopped two women outside the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building because they were stumbling and appeared intoxicated at 6:40 p.m. on Oct. 20. The women were trying to support each another, and one fell to the ground after tripping over a bike rack.

The woman who fell was hiccupping and noticeably intoxicated. She said the other woman was her daughter, who attempted to ignore officers by “being overly chatty” on her cellphone.

The daughter told officers she was a freshman, then a sophomore and then a law student while they conducted sobriety tests. She became uncooperative and verbally combative, trying to tell the officers what they could and couldn’t do. Additionally, the daughter kept telling her mother to “shut up” and “shut the fuck up.”

The mother said she had no knowledge of her daughter drinking alcohol, and was then arrested on charges of minor in possession.

Missing mice

Two Apple Magic mice were stolen from the Medical Research building last weekend.

The man reporting the crime told UAPD one was taken from his desk drawer, and another from atop a separate table. While the building was secured over the weekend, anyone with accessibility to his office could have taken them, he said.

He did not have a record of the devices’ serial numbers, and there is currently no evidence pointing toward a suspect. The incident was forwarded on to Risk Management.