Women’s basketball finishes with a 1-17 Pac-12 record

Ryan Kang
Courtesy of Ryan Kang/ Emerald Oregon redshirt sophomore guard Lexi Peterson (33) blocks Arizona sophomore guard Keyahndra Cannon (15) shot in the second half of Arizona’s 90-78 loss against Oregon at Matthew Knight Arena in Eugene, Ore. on Sunday.

Conference play ended this weekend with two more losses for Arizona women’s basketball.

The Wildcats lost to the Oregon Ducks 90-78 on Sunday and to the Oregon State Beavers 78-48 on Friday. The two losses secure coach Niya Butts’ worst conference record in her tenure in Tucson.

Oregon was the more recent of the two games and provided a very winnable game for the Wildcats. Arizona (5-24, 1-17) held close throughout the game and fought back from several double-digit leads to stay competitive.

Spearheading the comeback attempt was redshirt junior guard Candice Warthen, who had her best game in quite a while with 21 points, three assists and two rebounds against the Ducks.

“I think we gave up too many baskets and we couldn’t get enough stops at the end,” Warthen said. “It kind of got away from us at the end.”

However, the Wildcats couldn’t overcome a balanced Oregon attack that had five Ducks score in double-digits. Leading the way in both matchups with Oregon this season was forward Jillian Allen, who had 18 points and 16 rebounds on Sunday and 29 points and 20 rebounds on Jan. 31 in Tucson.

That kind of output was just too much for Arizona to overcome with only seven healthy players, and ultimately was a big factor behind the team’s sixth straight loss.

In the first game of the weekend, Arizona took to Corvallis, Ore., to take on the Oregon State Beavers.

Arizona led Oregon State for the first 2:27 against Oregon State before surrendering the lead with 17:33 left in the first half. Apart from a tie around the 11-minute mark of the first half, the Beavers held and increased their lead.

Leading a perimeter oriented OSU attack were guards Gabriella Hanson, Alyssa Martin and Sydney Wiese. The trio combined for 44 points, eight rebounds and hit 11 of the team’s 12 3-pointers.

The Wildcats went 2-for-7 from behind the 3-point line and could not find the necessary offense to counter the hot-shooting of Oregon State. The Beavers shot 55 percent from both the field and the 3-point line. OSU’s 10 more 3-pointers than Arizona proved to be the margin of victory.

“We didn’t do what we need to do,” Butts said in a press release. “They capitalized and made plays. We shot a great percentage in the first half, but we needed to offset those threes, and we weren’t able to do it.”

—Follow Roberto Payne @HouseOfPayne555