The Daily Wildcat’s team and athlete of the week (2/14/22)

Screenshot of Arizona baseball head coach Chip Hale (left) and Arizona athletic director Dave Heeke (right) during Hale’s introductory press conference at Hi Corbett Field on July 7, 2021.

It was a busy week in sports for the University of Arizona with lots of different events and games. Here is the Daily Wildcat‘s team and athlete of the week award winners for this past week. 

Team of the week: Arizona baseball 

What an opening weekend it was for the Arizona baseball team. Participating in the State Farm College Baseball Showdown at Globe Life Field in Arlington, TX to open the season, Arizona defeated Kansas State, Oklahoma and Texas Tech to open the season 3-0. Out of the six participating teams in the event, Arizona was the only team to win all three games. 

RELATED: Arizona baseball team sweeps the State Farm College Baseball Showdown

Athlete of the week: Tanner O’Tremba

We usually try to separate the athlete of the week and team of the week winners, but Tanner O’Tremba would not let that happen. After an impressive showing in the postseason last year, the junior picked up where he left off to open this season combining to hit 7-14 to go along with two home runs and seven RBIs across the three games this past weekend. It was truly an impressive showing from O’Tremba. 

The Arizona baseball team is back in action on Tuesday in the home opener at Hi Corbett where they will take on Grand Canyon University with first pitch scheduled for 6 p.m. MST. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter