Softball smokes tourney field

Defeat is not a word the No. 3 Arizona softball team knows yet. The squad improved to 11-0 after beating Pacific 1-0 yesterday in the final day of the Wildcat Worth Tournament, in which the team went 5-0.

Senior pitcher Alicia Hollowell (6-0) pitched her sixth shutout game of the season and struck out 11 batters while only giving up four hits and one walk to the Tigers (4-6).

She has not allowed a run this season.

The Wildcats lone run came on a suicide squeeze play in the bottom of the fourth inning.

Sophomore catcher Callista Balko laid down a drag bunt down the third-base line, bringing in senior pinch runner Kelly Nelson for the game’s only run.

On Saturday the Wildcats started out the day by defeating No. 18 Missouri (4-4) 4-0. Hollowell struck out 14 batters and freshman third baseman Jenae Leles drove in two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning with a triple to put the game away.

Later in the day, the team beat both Texas Tech (3-8) and North Carolina State (8-4) by a score of 6-0.

Sophomore pitcher Taryne Mowatt (5-0) struck out 13 Red Raiders en route to her third complete game shutout of the season.

Junior second baseman Chelsie Mesa homered after junior shortstop Kristie Fox singled in the first inning to put the game away early.

Against North Carolina State, Hollowell once again dominated and struck out 17 of the Wolfpack’s batters.

The offense came alive in the third when Mesa drove in a run off a bases loaded single and freshman first baseman Laine Roth drew a bases loaded walk to make the score 2-0.

The weekend sweep started on Friday when the Wildcats defeated Tennessee Tech (3-4) 5-1 behind Mowatt’s career-high 18-strikeout performance. She started the game by fanning the first nine batters she faced.

The Wildcats quickly scored two unearned runs in the first. Sophomore right fielder Adrienne Acton also scored two runs in the game off of fielding mistakes by the Golden Eagles.

The Wildcats play in the Palm Springs Tournament in Palm Springs, Calif., next weekend where they will face No. 5 Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Ohio State and Maryland.

– Information taken from a press release on www.arizonaathletics.com