Arizona gymnastics pulls off upset of No. 12 Cal

UA gymnast Danielle Spencer strikes a pose after completing her routine on the uneven bars during the UA v California meet on Jan. 26 in McKale Center.

Arizona gymnastics earned a win and set a new season-high team score, 195.975 to 194.450, during the meet against No. 12 California on Saturday, Jan. 26, in McKale Center. Although the score was close and there were minor falls, the GymCats led throughout the night and were able to pull through with a win. Arizona scored the most points on the floor, with 49.200.

This is week four of NCAA gymnastics and the third straight home meet against Cal. Eight GymCats earned season- and career-high scores.

Vault

The GymCats started the meet on the vault with Adra Parks, Maddi Leydin, Jenny Leung, Courtney Cowles, Heather Swanson and MacKinzie Kane competing. Parks started off the night with a score of 9.775, which is her career-high score. Swanson scored the high for Arizona with 9.825, earning her season high score and coming in fifth place overall. The ‘Cats led after rotation one, 48.850 to 47.075.

UA gymnast Haylie Hendrickson performs her routine on the uneven bars during the UA v California meet on Jan. 26 in McKale Center.

Uneven Parallel Bars

Next on the bars, Swanson scored 9.775, which set a season-high and tied her career-high score. Danielle Spencer got the high score of 9.900 overall, which also earned her a season and career high score. The GymCats led after the second rotation with a score of 97.850 to 96.375.

Balance Beam

Leung scored 9.725 and Kennedi Davis scored 9.775, both setting season and career highs. Cowles worked the beam and got the highest score for Arizona, with 9.825, coming in third place overall and earning a season high score. The GymCats led Cal 146.775 to 145.325. 

Floor Exercise

The ‘Cats finished on the floor, where they set a season-high score of 49.200. Haylie Hendrickson started and scored 9.775, a season and career high. Heather Swanson scored 9.850 and tied her career high. Sydney Friedin earned a career-high score of 9.850. Christina Berg brought it all to the floor while hyping the crowd and ended the night with the highest score overall and career high of 9.900 points on floor. 

All around, Leydin got the highest score of the meet for Arizona of 38.475. The Wildcats stayed in front of the Golden Bears throughout the meet and took the win, 195.975 to 194.450.

Follow Daily Wildcat Sports on Twitter