Students to rally in support of one-cent tax increase

Lisa Beth Earle / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Students gather for a peaceful vigil related to proposed fee increases outside the Student Union Memorial Center in the James E. Perry Rogers Plaza on Wednesday, March 10, 2010. Many of the students were graduate students but everyone was welcome as they were there to manifest their presence as a united community affected by the fees.
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle / Arizona Daily Wildcat Students gather for a peaceful vigil related to proposed fee increases outside the Student Union Memorial Center in the James E. Perry Rogers Plaza on Wednesday, March 10, 2010. Many of the students were graduate students but everyone was welcome as they were there to manifest their presence as a “united community” affected by the fees.

Students who oppose the possible tuition increases will rally today in support of a proposition that could help supplement state funds for education.

The rally will take place in the James E. Rogers Plaza, 1209 E. University Blvd., between noon and 1 p.m.

If passed, Proposition 100 would temporarily increase the state sales tax by one cent and could produce $1 billion for the state, according to Elma Delic, Arizona Students Association chair.

Two-thirds of the profits from the increased sales tax would be allotted for K-12 and higher education, according to the Arizona Education Network. The remaining one-third would pay for health, human services and public safety. The increased sales tax would end automatically on May 31, 2013.

Delic and other student representatives will take part in the rally to provide information and garner support for the proposition.

The rally is sponsored by Solutions Through Higher Education, a coalition of business and community leaders working to raise awareness about the importance of higher education, according to ASA campus organizer David Martinez.

“”We recognize it’s the state legislature’s lack of support for higher education that has put us in this situation,”” Martinez said. “”The message we’re trying to convey is we want students to be engaged.””

Martinez said he believes Proposition 100 could boost and diversify the state’s economy.

According to the Arizona Education Network, Arizona currently spends the least on education compared to the other 49 states, resulting in fewer teachers and classes and increased tuition and fees.

Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Chris Nagata will also participate in tomorrow’s rally. He said it is important to inform students and the public about the benefits of the proposition.

If passed, the proposition could secure additional investments for education in the state and prevent deeper cuts to higher education, Nagata said.

Two-thirds of the state legislature will need to vote in support of Proposition 100 for it to pass. It will go to a vote on May 18.