Track duo to compete in Louisiana

The Arizona track and field teams will send senior Jake Arnold and sophomore Shevell Quinley to compete in their first multi-events of the outdoor season at the Louisiana State Multis today and tomorrow.

“”It’s a perfect opportunity to qualify for nationals,”” said Quinley, who will compete in the heptathlon. “”The door’s wide open, and it’s calling our name to walk on through.””

UA multi-events and jumps coach Sheldon Blockburger will travel with the duo to Baton Rouge, La. He expects both athletes to qualify for the NCAA West Regional Championships, which would enable them to have a more relaxed attitude until the May 5-6 Pacific 10 Conference Combined Events Championships.

“”If they don’t qualify, then I suck, and they suck, too,”” said a smiling Blockburger.

Arnold believes he has a solid chance of breaking Derek Huff’s decathlon record of 8,075 points, set in 1988.

“”(The meet) should move smoothly, whereas some times we’ll be at the track for 10 hours”” said Arnold of the meet, which features only 12 men and 12 women.

The team will catch a flight back to Tucson at 2:30 a.m. Saturday. It will arrive just in time for the team members to watch the Arizona International at Roy P. Drachman Stadium.