Campus detective

Rojelio Rodriguez, left, and JosǸ Eladio work at Nicos Mexican Food in Jetts Wildcat Petrol yesterday afternoon.
    Rojelio Rodriguez, left, and JosǸ Eladio work at Nico’s Mexican Food in Jett’s Wildcat Petrol yesterday afternoon.

Ah yes, this is a mystery that has been tormenting many of my friends as well. You get that craving for one of the best things Tucson has to offer – cheap, authentic, delicious Mexican food – only to walk down to Jett’s Wildcat Petrol, 501 N. Park Ave., and find its recently opened Nico’s Mexican Food closed. Again. They’re not open at 1 a.m., they’re not open at 7 p.m. Are they just there to taunt us?

Whereas Grill, another Tucson fixture, is open “”later than you think,”” Nico’s hours barely extend into what most would consider dinnertime. Rojelio Rodriguez and José Eladio, who were working there when I stopped by, told me that the shop is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Jett Rink, the owner of Jett’s Wildcat Petrol, thinks the burrito shop would do well to stay open later and benefit from the business enjoyed by Jimmy John’s, Silver Mine Subs and other university area late-night eateries. “”They were gonna stay open ’til two after winter break,”” he said. But for the time being, it looks like you’ll have to have quesadillas for breakfast.

E-mail Campus Detective a question at campus@wildcat.arizona.edu