Police Beat: Feb. 9

Bleeding man dodges cops, gets tasered

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on patrol at Euclid Avenue and Broadway Boulevard on Feb. 3 at 7:30 p.m. when he received reports of Tucson Police Department responding to a stabbing.

TPD reported the man had fled the scene, was bleeding and was armed with a knife.

The UAPD officer noticed a man matching the description given by TPD walking south on Euclid Avenue between Eighth Street and Ninth Street.

When the officer pulled his vehicle over, the man continued to walk away. The officer could see that the man was carrying a knife about four inches long. Additional units were called to the scene when the officer also saw the man was bleeding from his left collarbone area and stomach.

The officer told the man to drop the knife and sit on the ground. The man refused, put both his hands in the pockets of his sweatshirt and continued to walk south.

The officer followed the man on foot to the intersection of Euclid Avenue and Hughes Street while giving him commands to stop and sit on the ground.

A TPD officer arrived to the intersection and when the man once again refused to stop, the UAPD officer used his department issued Taser on the man so he could be taken into custody.

The man was placed in handcuffs and Tucson Fire Department paramedics responded to treat the man’s injuries.

There was a one-half inch cut above his left collarbone and several cuts on his left elbow. The injuries were self-inflicted.

The man was transported to University Medical Center for further evaluation.

Wasted Wednesday

A UAPD officer was on patrol around the intersection of First Street and Vine Avenue on Feb. 3 at 1:33 a.m. when he saw a woman sitting on a bench in front of the Manuel Pacheco Integrated Learning Center.

The woman was not moving and appeared to be sleeping.

As he got out of the patrol car to check on the welfare of the woman, she noticed him walking toward her and sat up.

The woman told the officer she was fine and was talking on the phone to her friend.

The officer noticed the woman’s speech was slurred and she smelled of alcohol.

He asked the woman to hang up the phone and answer some questions, but she refused and continued to talk. After the third request by the officer for the woman to hang up she identified herself as a UA student.

The woman told the officer she had been drinking, but that she was fine. When asked whether or not she was 21 years old she said, “”I’m not from here, I don’t know what to tell you.””

The woman said she had been drinking at a house in the area of Park Avenue and Speedway Boulevard earlier and had just left the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house at 1509 E. Second St.

The woman was referred to the Dean of Students for consuming alcohol underage. Her roommate responded to the ILC to take the woman home.

Mute man acts mental at ASUA

Associated Students of the University of Arizona staff members reported a disorderly man to UAPD on Feb. 3 at 12:10 p.m.

An ASUA official reported a man that had been in the office on Feb. 2 was back and being very disruptive.

The staff member said in an e-mail sent on Feb. 3 that a man entered the Spring Fling office and, without saying anything, walked up to the director to show her the screen to his iPod touch. He was wearing in headphones and was listening to music.

The screen on the iPod had a picture of a document on it that just had random letters and initials that didn’t spell any words.

He repeatedly told the woman that he lost his phone and that he needed a phone.

The woman said, “”OK … I’ll walk you to the front desk to see if you can use that phone.””

While the woman was walking the man to the front desk he started banging on the walls and doors in the hallway without saying anything.

When they reached the front desk, the man stood in silence for about 30 seconds and then walked out of the office.

The woman reported also seeing the man twice the day before in the office looking for another man. He claimed he spoke with the other man the week before. The woman said there was no one in the office by the name given.

The officer advised the staff that if the man was to return, to call UAPD immediately and not to talk to the man so that he won’t become argumentative or violent.

Marco, Polo, jail!

A UAPD officer responded to the area of Campbell Avenue and Third Street on Feb. 4 at 12:36 p.m. in reference to a man and woman fighting near the UA pool.

The man and woman, who claimed to be boyfriend and girlfriend, were separated and questioned.

The man said he was very upset and wanted to leave. A records check of the man showed he had a TPD warrant for possession of marijuana.

The man was handcuffed and said the two of them were having an argument and that was it.

The officer asked the man if he had any weapons on him, and he told the officer there was a smoking pipe in his front pocket.

The officer found a blue glass smoking pipe in his pocket with burnt marijuana residue on it.

After the warrant was confirmed, the man was placed under arrest for the warrant and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The man was taken to Pima County Jail and booked. The pipe was placed into evidence at UAPD.