Tennis weekend recap

Senior Akilah James hits the ball during the doubles match against San Francisco in Robson Tennis Center on Sunday. Lauren Marker and Akilah James, Arizona, def. Marina Nikolic and Andrea Ka, San Francisco 6-3.

No. 73 Arizona women’s tennis played host to three matches over the weekend. It defeated San Jose State on Feb. 1 (4-0), New Mexico State on Feb. 2 (7-0) and San Francisco on Feb. 2 (6-1).

Senior Kim Stubbe and senior Susan Mc Rann got the Wildcats off to a fantastic start against NMSU, defeating Chloe Jolliff and Marie-Pier Thiffault 6-1 in doubles play. Freshman Lauren Marker and senior Akilah James did just the same, winning their match 6-2, which earned a point for the Wildcats.

In single match play, Stubbe and James each won her single match quickly, and junior Laura Oldham sealed the deal for Arizona, winning 6-3, 6-2.

“I think we did a good job taking care of the courts fairly quickly,” head coach Vicki Maes said. “We did a great job in the doubles [matches], but we obviously still have some work to do. We are starting to execute our game plans a bit better, and going into this afternoon, it was important for us to get a good quick match in where we weren’t making too many unforced errors.”

Against San Francisco, Stubbe and Mc Rann were able to defeat Genevieve McCloskey and Milica Hadzi-Tanovic by a score of 6-3. James and Marker battled back from being down 3-0 to defeat Marina Nikolic and Andrea Ka 6-3 — earning the Wildcats a doubles point. James, Oldham and Stubbe all won their single matches to sink the victory for Arizona.

“Everyone was there doing business, and that’s the mentality when we step on the court,” Stubbe said. “We had a great win in doubles. Everybody kept their momentum going into singles as well, and I think that’s one of the most important things for us — and, of course, it’s great results.”

“Overall, as a team, we have been playing great,” James said. “We have a lot of team spirit and have been feeding off each other’s spirit and also athletically, so I think we are going to be a solid team.”

On Jan. 31, Arizona men’s tennis defeated Gonzaga 7-0. Senior Mario Urquidi and sophomore Matt Dunn won in their doubles match, with junior Sumeet Shinde and sophomore Naoki Takeda also keeping the victories going.

On Feb. 2, the Wildcats hosted No. 44 Boise State, losing 5-2. Although they were able to secure the doubles point, Boise State rallied with five single-match wins.

Women’s tennis will hope to continue its success on Friday in another double-header against Grand Canyon and UTEP at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. Men’s tennis will take on Cal Poly on Friday in San Luis Obispo, Calif.