Mailbag: Feb. 1

Arizona state legislator Ron Gould is renewing his push to see guns on Arizona university campuses. His latest guns-on-campus bill would force universities to allow permitted guns on campus against the wishes of the students who would be put at risk, and it would have universities provide a lockbox — a sort of “gun locker” — in each building for students to store their guns while they are in class.

We all support the Second Amendment, but Gould’s bill is wrongheaded for two reasons. First, he’s putting the emotional well-being of the UA, Arizona State University and Northern Arizona University students at risk. Gould and his constituents may not realize it, but the thought of fellow students toting pistols down the UA Mall is likely to scare the wits out of those students who choose not to bring weapons to a place of higher education. Second, Gould’s bill is sure to drive prospective students away from Arizona universities. Despite the fact the UA is a truly fantastic place to get an education, fewer students are going to want to go to school at a place where students have things called “gun lockers” and tote deadly weapons around campus for no good reason.

Kudos to Gov. Brewer for vetoing this bill last year, and here’s hoping she stands up for universities again if the Legislature passes this second iteration.

— David Francis
    UA alumnus

In response to the Jan. 31 column titled, “Affirmative action doesn’t help”:

Dear Daily Wildcat,

Lauren Shores’ “Affirmative action doesn’t help” was spot on. Affirmative action boils down to reverse racism. And while some can make the argument that it counteracts the racism or hardships encountered in the lives of minorities, everyone knows you can’t fight fire with fire. The quote you used from Chief Justice John Roberts Jr. summed it up well, basically saying that if people want racism to end then they should stop being racist. There’s a reason employers aren’t allowed to ask about religion in the application process: it should not play a factor in the hiring process. The same is true with race and colleges. Race should not be a factor in the acceptance process so it shouldn’t even be asked. If it’s for studies or demographic purposes it can be asked once the student is accepted or denied. Are we 5 years old? If someone hits you, you don’t hit back to make it “even.”

— Connor Young
    aerospace engineering sophomore

In response to the Jan. 30 column titled, “Keep the babies close, the contraceptives closer”:

Hooray to Megan Hurley for promoting the smart use of birth control! While not all students are sexually active, it’s important for those who are “getting busy” with an opposite sex partner to always use reliable birth control and/or condoms. Abstinence is a great and healthy option for those who truly abstain. However, we know that 70 percent of UA students report having had vaginal intercourse at least once in their lives, according to the 2011 Health & Wellness Survey. And once is all it takes to make a baby.

The author points out that the U.S. has the highest teen pregnancy rate of most industrialized countries. According to Advocates for Youth, the U.S. teen pregnancy rate is almost three times that of Germany and France, and more than four times that of the Netherlands. Why? Our society is not as open to discussion of sex and our governmental and school policies don’t always support access to information or services. Americans often choose not to talk about sexual health education and contraception even though rates of sexual activity remain high.

Young people are “doing it.” So, let’s talk about it! Students and staff are invited to a free movie titled, “Let’s Talk About Sex” on Feb. 7 from 6 p.m.-7:30pm at the Gallagher Theater in the Student Union Memorial Center. The movie takes a provocative, sensual and humorous look at sex education in the U.S. and Europe. It’s one of the many fun and free SexTalk Week events at the UA.

— Lee Ann Hamilton,
    assistant director

Carrie Hardesty, health educator
    UA Campus Health Service

Email letters to letters@wildcat.arizona.edu
    Send letters to 615 N. Park Ave. Tucson, Az 85719
    Letters should include name, connection to University, and contact info
    Letters should be no longer than 350 words and should refrain from personal attack