Community benefits from run

oseph Marano, Student Health Advisory Committee Executive Director and Physiology senior talks to some members of SHAC about the final touches before the Run For Your Life 5K event yesterday afternoon.

Participants in the Third Annual Run for Your Life 5K Run/Walk will be strapping on their walking shoes and filling their water bottles with the aim of helping those who help the community.

The Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) and UA Campus Health Services are co-hosting the run tomorrow with proceeds going to Tucson Community Food Bank and Heifer International, an organization that aims to end world hunger and poverty, while maintaining the environment.

“”The 5K not only benefits the participants with the health benefits that they receive, but in addition to the community and global recipients of the actual charitable donations,”” said SHAC director Joseph Marano.

The starting line for Run for Your Life is on the west end of the UA Mall. Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. and the run itself lasts from 9 a.m. to noon tomorrow, April 4.

Marano anticipates around 250 participants and hopes to raise more than $2,000. The event raised just short of $1,800 last year.

“”I think (the run) has become a staple to SHAC itself and is one that will continue in the future of having great success here on campus,”” Marano said. “”One (SHAC) member a few years ago suggested it and we looked into it, researched it with Campus Health and made it a possibility, and it’s now become a reality.””

The country’s economic blow hit the Tucson Community Food Bank fairly hard, with it receiving 24 percent more requests for aid in February 2009 from February 2008 alone, according to Jack Parris, public relations manager for the Tucson Community Food Bank.

“”(The Food Bank) has been affected pretty drastically and the increase in demands has been unprecedented,”” Parris said. “”Whatever (the Food Bank) gets is a plus for us.””

The Community Food Bank plans to have a table set up along the course to provide information to participants about the charity, volunteer opportunities and to collect any donations people may bring.

Despite Run for Your Life being only in its third year, SHAC member Lyandra Rodriguez expects that it will stand the test of time and continue to expand.

“”It’s a given, when you first start a run or a marathon or a charity, it’s going to take a while before it really starts to take off. (SHAC) is hoping within the next few years that (the 5K run) will really grow and get more participants, get more community leaders involved,”” she said.

UA political science junior Paul Bowron plans to participate in this year’s Run for Your Life and said the most fulfilling aspect of the event is the being with friends and the impact the run has on the community.

“”The difference you’re working towards is something you actually see. I do some runs for cancer research. That’s great but it’s not something that I see the product of,”” Bowron said.