ASUA to talk WebReg change

Students who have become accustomed to the quirks of Student Link will need to make a major readjustment to the way they register for classes.

In 2008, the Arizona Board of Regents approved funding for the UA’s Mosaic Project, a computer administrative replacement program designed to overhaul and update the old system to run more efficiently.

After Spring Break, students will use UAccess, not Student Link, to register for classes.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona invited Tom Bourgeois, student administration system co-director, to give a presentation on the university’s new computer administrative system during tonight’s meeting.

The ASUA meeting will take place in the Ventana Room of the Student Union Memorial Center at 5 p.m.

Sen. Tyler Quillin, who sits on the Information Technology Student Advisory Board, is sponsoring the presentation. He said that although it might be difficult to acclimate to the new system, it will provide more capabilities to students.

“”Getting people to buy into a new system this late in the game is (going to be) difficult for us juniors,”” Quillin said.

The presentation will highlight the system’s administrative changes and help students prepare for the new system. UAccess is said to offer more options for wait-listed classes and other new advancements that should make the registering process easier for students, according to Quillin.

“”This is what is happening on campus, and this is what you’re going to be using to register for classes in two weeks. It’s a more complex and intelligent system,”” he said.

Quillin is also sponsoring a presentation by ASUA President Chris Nagata.

Nagata will present the senators with his formal tuition proposal, which he plans to send to the regents before the ABOR meeting scheduled for later this week.

Nagata was unable to be reached by press time about the details of his formal proposal.

The regents will meet this Thursday and Friday to vote on whether to increase tuition for the upcoming school year.

Sen. James Brooks will once again provide the other senators with a preview of the consent agenda.

This week, more than 15 clubs and organizations requested funds, including the Filipino American Student Association, the University Filmmakers Organization, the National Art Education Association and many others.

In total, these clubs and organizations requested $38,699.36. The Appropriations Board awarded $10,878.60.