Tucson commemorates 9/11 anniversary

On the 14th anniversary of Sept. 11, Tucsonans mourn and remember the lives lost with events around the area. 

The 100 Club of Arizona, an organization that supports first responders and their families during tragedies, and the Arizona Fisher House in Tucson, an organization that provides housing for military families when military members are in the hospital, have teamed up to raise money in honor of those who lost their lives on Sept. 11 and the first responders and military who keep America safe every day. 

First responders, military and their families will participate in the 9/11 Tower Challenge at Arizona Stadium on Friday. According to 911TowerChallenge.org, “There were 110 floors, 2071 steps in the Twin Towers and you can take the challenge of climbing all 110 floors, all 2071 steps [at Arizona Stadium].” The event ceremony begins at 6:30 a.m. followed by the climb at 7 a.m. 

Amanda Ehredt, a first-year law student and three-time 100 Club of Arizona scholarship recipient, volunteered at last year’s 9/11 Tower Challenge.

“It is a beautiful way to memorialize all those that were lost all while giving back to our public safety community,” Ehredt said.
Like millions of Americans, Ehredt said she remembers her fear, confusion and anger on that day in 2001.

“The New York skyline was covered in smoke. I saw the towers burning and falling, people jumping from high stories, confusion and chaos,” Ehredt said. 

More so than fear, Ehredt said she remembers U.S. resilience.

“One of the most lasting memories I have of 9/11 was how our entire country united and overcame whatever wounds these terrorists tried to inflict. We were stronger than them, and we were going to rise above and answer with justice,” she said.

For the past few years on Sept. 11, a memorial made of American Flags has been set up near the UA Mall at Heritage Hill on the Alumni Plaza, just east of the Student Union Memorial Center. 

Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System volunteers and senior corps volunteers, according to a SAVAHCS press release, will place American flags along the fence of Tucson VA campus in remembrance of the anniversary. The placing of the flags will begin at 7 a.m. on Friday and will remain on display until 4 p.m. 

“This is the fourth year in a row that Senior Corps Volunteers and SAVAHCS Volunteers have placed American flags onto the SAVAHCS campus fence line in remembrance of those who perished 14 years ago in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks,” the press release stated. 

The U.S. Army Fort Huachuca in Sierra Vista, Arizona, about an hour and a half southeast of Tucson, will host a Patriot Day Remembrance Ceremony at 4 p.m. at the Brown Parade Field. This event is open to the public and is “to render honors and respect to our country’s fallen heroes and their families,” according to Fort Hauchuca.

Follow Amanda Oien on Twitter.