MBB Pac-12 Tournament quarterfinals preview: No. 8 Arizona vs. Stanford

Jackie Cabrera

Arizona men’s basketball players Oumar Ballo and Pelle Larsson celebrate scoring against UCLA on Jan. 21 in McKale Center. The Wildcats went on to win with a score of 52-58.

The No. 8 Arizona men’s basketball team will face off against Stanford University in the quarterfinals of the Pac-12 Tournament at 7 p.m. MST. In this tournament, Arizona is the No. 2 seed and Stanford is the No.10 seed.

After winning last year, the Wildcats are looking to win back-to-back Pac-12 Tournament championships since they did it in 2017 and 2018. Arizona has won this tournament three out of the last five that they have competed in.

Stanford upset the No. 7 seed University of Utah in the first round of the Pac-12 Tournament Wednesday, March 8. The Cardinal won the game 73-62 after only having four turnovers in the game. Stanford had four players score double digits with Brandon Angel leading the team with 16 points.

The last time these Arizona and Stanford teams faced off was on Feb. 11 of this year where the Cardinal won 88-79 on its home court. This game was the night Courtney Ramey set his colligate career high in points after scoring 26 while making eight 3-pointers. Azuolas Tubelis only played 17 minutes during this game after having four fouls.

RELATED: MBB Notebook 3/8/23 Ballo and Tubelis make Pac-12 first team

Arizona has beaten Stanford in three of the last five games, and seven of the last 10. Last season, the Wildcats also played the Cardinal in the second round of the Pac-12 Tournament and won the game 84-80.

Arizona has been on a hot streak shooting the ball as of late. The team has shot it at least 50% from the field and 40% on 3-point shots during three of the past five games.

The winner of this game tonight will move on to the semifinals of the Pac-12 Tournament to face the winner of No. 3 seed USC versus No. 6 seed ASU. That game will also take place tonight in Las Vegas, at 9:30 p.m.

If Arizona advances, its semifinal game will be at 9:30 p.m. on Friday, March 10.

Follow Ryan Wohl on Twitter