Guadalajara Grill brings salsa to the table

Mexican food is ubiquitous in Tucson so finding authentic, quality restaurants can be a challenge. Guadalajara Grill is a name you’ll see plastered around Tucson and advertised frequently. With a recent move to its new location up the street, it’s definitely worth a visit.

The first thing you’ll notice at Guadalajara (besides the mariachis if you’re stopping by between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m.) is the tableside salsa. It is made to taste right at your table, which makes it sweet and special for this Tucson favorite. You can choose how spicy you like it and ask for extra onion or no cilantro if you please.

Along with the fresh salsa, the tortillas are also made to order in house. Warm and cooked to perfection by hands that know the work, these details make all the difference at the Guadalajara Grill.

Portions, portions, portions. For about $14 an entrée you’re served mounds of food that’s made to order so it comes out steaming hot. While service can slow down when it gets busy, the food makes up for it. The mix of contemporary and traditional Mexican food allows something for everyone and they also offer a rather large vegetarian menu.

On this particular night I ordered the chicken molcajete, a Guadalajara regular go-to dish. A molcajete is a Mexican mortar and pestle made from volcanic rock and carved by hand. At Guadalajara Grill it is used to bake certain dishes.

It was hard to stop eating the chicken molcajete. It had mounds of chicken and veggies that hissed and steamed on the hot molcajete, and would surely fill even the hungriest of bellies. The chicken was succulent and drenched in a savory and sweet tomato sauce that was just right. The veggies were cooked to tender perfection in their tomato sauce bath. Paired with the beans, rice, and fresh tortillas, the price you pay and the food you get are quite disproportionate, but it’s in your favor.

Looking to kick back and relax with a margarita on a hot summer night? You’re certainly covered at Guadalajara Grill. They boast several house drinks but the most popular is the Guadalajara, a massive margarita over ice in a hat that rivals the size of a sombrero. This large and in charge beverage was pretty strong given its size. It will make any nightmares of summer school disappear for the night.

The ambiance of the restaurant was fun and inviting. It was a little fiesta every night with live music and friendly staff. The brightly decorated interior is reminiscent of something you’d find deep in the heart of Guadalajara. The wait can get long in the evening so come prepared. The entire menu is available online.

Guadalajara Grill is a well-established Tucson restaurant. It offers deliciously authentic Mexican fare at a reasonable price. When you throw in the friendly staff and the pleasurable atmosphere, Guadalajara is a nice stop for a dinner close to home.