Police Beat 2/26/20: Kicking and Screaming

Alex McIntyre
A University of Arizona Police Department officer makes a call while standing by near the Koffler building on the UA campus.

Grand Theft … License Plate?

Getting things stolen from your car will most likely happen to all of us once in our lifetimes. It’s already happened to me twice — cars are an easy target. Stealing wallets, purses, stereos, electronics, etc. is expected when we think of larceny from a vehicle. One University of Arizona student probably didn’t ever think he’d have to make this report though.

According to the police report on Feb. 3, an officer was dispatched to Lot 2147, the parking lot next to Highland Garage on Cherry Avenue, responding to a report of a stolen license plate. The student had parked his vehicle there the evening before at 5 p.m., but when he returned to his car the next afternoon, his license plate had vanished. He reported not having seen anyone in the area, let alone anyone suspicious. The student chose not to press criminal charges if the license plate nabber was found.

Kicking and Screaming

If you read Police Beat, you know alcohol is a common factor behind the noteworthy reports published in it. Alcohol introduces all different types of personas, from bizarre to funny to angry and, in this case, all too aggressive.

According to the report made on Feb. 8, two officers were dispatched to Mohave Residence Hall to make contact with a particularly belligerent female student who was causing problems in the lobby. Another officer had been at the dormitory dealing with a separate investigation when the student had started causing a disturbance.

The two officers tried to speak with the student who refused to identify herself and was described as “severely intoxicated” with “extremely slurred and disjointed speech.” At this point, she fell out of a chair and just lay on the ground. One of the officers proceeded to speak with the desk assistant when he heard a loud crash and saw that the student had started becoming aggressive with the other officer, who was now attempting to handcuff her.

The other officer jumped in to help when the student threw all her weight down to pull herself to the ground in an attempt to not be restrained. The officer that had been there for the other investigation was forced to also jump in and help at this point, since she had begun kicking the two officers. She continued kicking them, leaving a bruise on one officer’s knee. Even after she had been ordered to “stop kicking,” she did not, leaving them no choice but to put her in leg restraints to prevent further injury to herself and the officers. She was then carried to the patrol car and buckled in, where she slid down under the seat belt and would refuse to sit upright.

During transportation to Pima County Jail, she only said two words to the officers, a favorite phrase for the belligerently angry, while also carrying out a conversation with someone who was not in the car. She continued to scream and swear at the staff while being escorted into the jail.

She was booked for aggravated assault on a Peace Officer and minor in possession of alcohol in body. 

RELATED: Police Beat 2/19/20: Reaching the breaking point?

Where There’s Exploding Light Bulbs

One of the scariest situations someone can probably think of is a building fire, which is less common than you would think since so many people nowadays are taught basic things to avoid starting fires and take the necessary precautions. Even with so much precaution, some factors are just out of our control, like an exploding light bulb.

According to the police report on Feb. 7, three officers and a police aide responded to a call from La Aldea apartment complex on campus where a building fire had been reported. One of the officers and the police aide were directed to a specific apartment that the fire was coming from, but the door was locked. They attempted to kick it in, not knowing if there were residents inside, and requested breaching tools when these attempts did not work. 

While breaching, the officers were informed by another officer that the residents of the apartment were with him and that the fire had been caused by an exploding light bulb in the bathroom, which, in turn, caused the exhaust vent to catch on fire. The Tucson Fire Department arrived on the scene and made sure the fire was extinguished while also removing the exhaust vent and part of the ceiling to examine further fire hazards.

The residents of the apartment were temporarily moved to an apartment in the same building and were offered services from CAPS and Residence Life while the repairs are being done to their apartment.

Follow Maggie Rockwell on Twitter