ASUA starts preparing for years ahead

ASUA is looking months and years into the future.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona held a 17-minute meeting on Wednesday, due to a speaker delaying their presentation until next week, leaving most of their agenda points to run down rather quickly.

“”We want to make sure we have the plans laid out for them so the student body president two years from now can take it up,”” said ASUA President Emily Fritze of plans to bring Spring Fling back to campus in the next few years.

Fritze noted that discussions took place regarding the proposition of bringing the largest student-run carnival in America back to the UA campus, where it has been held in years past, but nothing was decided on.

She also presented the official proposal of the university-wide elections week, to be held March 7, the approved week of their elections. Fritze said both the Graduate and Professional Student Council and the Faculty Senate both expressed interest in “”working out the logistics”” to organize and then market the election week to students.

But there were plenty of things left to approve on this week’s agenda.

“”I just want to say thank you for passing funds for Service Olympics and if you are not able to do clubs or aren’t in a club I strongly recommend you come out and talk to these clubs and see what they are all about,”” said Sen. Garrett Voge, shortly after a unanimous vote approved the funding request.

The senate voted to approve the prize money for the Service Olympics, a week of events where different ASUA-recognized clubs can compete in the fundraiser, raising money for their club.

Sen. Mary Myles began working with the UA Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for more awareness of access for students and their financial aid opportunities through UAccess. Forums will be held starting in November.

Former senator and presidential cabinet member Tyler Quillin’s peer mentorship program, is “”looking for new mentors to their team,”” according to Sen. Courtney Campbell, who is working with Quillin on the project. Applications for those positions are due by Oct. 29.

Sen. Taylor Bilby also asked for her item, a second shot at a request for poster funds for her April 1 Tanzbodeli arts and culture festival, to be stricken from the agenda. She was unable to get together her finalized budget in time for the Wednesday meeting and wanted a finished product for the senate to vote on in the future.