ASUA notebook 09/28/2022: Senate approves funding for student groups

Jasmine Ma
Want an inside look at the University of Arizona’s student government? Read the Daily Wildcat’s Associated Students of the University of Arizona notebooks, which recap the ASUA Senate’s weekly meetings.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate approved funding for two clubs during their meeting on Sept. 28. These were the first funding approvals authorized by the senate this semester.

The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. and adjourned at 7:36 p.m. During this meeting, the senate held two executive sessions, around ten to fifteen minutes each, where guests and the Daily Wildcat reporter in attendance were asked to leave the room.

Funding Approval

The senate approved funding for two student organizations during this week’s meeting.

The senate approved $1,200 in funding for Asian Pacific American Student Affairs after members of the organization came and presented an outlined budget for their needs. APASA, which will have a tent at Tucson Meet Yourself, was in need of fire extinguishers and other equipment required by the Pima County Health Department and event organizers.

The senate also approved $494 of funding for the Student Health Advocacy Committee’s upcoming Women’s Health Fair.

Executive Sessions

During the old business portion of the meeting, Senator Carly Snell proposed moving to an executive session to discuss SHAC’s request for funding.

Later, during senate reports, Senator Jack Haskins also motioned for an executive session.

During this period of the meeting, the Daily Wildcat was not privy to conversations held by ASUA.

Honorable Mentions

Senator Amy Gaudet oversaw the meeting in the absence of Executive Vice President Nico Nieri-Lang.

SHAC also gave a presentation for another of its upcoming events, the Culture Through Cuisine fair, which will give student cultural organizations the opportunity to share their culture through food.

*Editor’s Note: This article was updated on Oct. 5, 2022 to reflect the correct amount given to Asian Pacific American Student Affairs. 

Follow Sean Meixner on Twitter