Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season

Arizona+guard+Allonzo+Trier+%2811%29+dunks+against+Chico+State+during+the+Wildcats+exhibition+game+in+McKale+Center+on+Nov.+8.+The+five-star+recruit+came+off+the+bench+and+tallied+13+points+and+six+rebounds+in+25+minutes.+
Tyler Baker

Arizona guard Allonzo Trier (11) dunks against Chico State during the Wildcats’ exhibition game in McKale Center on Nov. 8. The five-star recruit came off the bench and tallied 13 points and six rebounds in 25 minutes.

Arizona freshman guard Allonzo Trier will return for his sophomore season, Arizona basketball head coach Sean Miller announced on Monday, April 4.

Trier finished the season averaging 14.8 points per game, 3.3 rebounds and 1.1 assists. He shot 36.4 percent from beyond the arc, averaging about 28 minutes per game.

“I am ecstatic about Allonzo’s decision to return to school for his sophomore year,” Miller said in a statement. “I believe he will become one of college basketball’s elite players next season. During our conversations, Allonzo shared his desire to be a leader on a championship team and to improve his overall game. By doing so, he puts himself in the best position possible for a very successful NBA future.”

Trier was rumored to have been flirting with the next level and the NBA over the past couple of weeks.

“I have not been around a player that works harder at the game or loves it more than he does,” Miller said in a statement. “It’s this passion to be great that has all of us excited about our future together.”

Trier missed seven games during the 2015-2016 season and left with more of a hunger after the Wildcats dropped their opening round NCAA Tournament game against Wichita State.

Read: Relive Arizona men’s basketball’s top five moments of the 2015-2016 season.

“After talking to Coach Miller and my family, I have decided to return to school for my sophomore season,” Trier said in a statement. “I am really excited about the quest to become a more complete player. I am also excited to develop as a leader and to lock arms with my teammates while competing for championships. I love being at the University of Arizona and can’t wait for next season to begin.”

The 6-foot-5 guard out of Findlay Prep was named Pac-12 Player of the Week last December. His best game of the season came against Fresno State, where Trier dropped his season-best 27 points. Trier is an impressive scorer and managed more than 20 points per game eight times this past season.

With Trier set to return, questions will loom more about Arizona grabbing top-recruit Josh Jackson, who is set to make his decision in the next couple of weeks.

Follow Matt Wall on Twitter.