Golf back after break

After taking last weekend off, the Arizona men’s golf team will be back in action this weekend as it looks to rebound at the Isleworth Collegiate Invitational in Orlando, Fla. after a disappointing tournament at the William H. Tucker Invitational. The tournament will start Saturday and continue until Monday.

Texas Tech hosts the Isleworth Invitational, which head coach Rick LaRose considers “”the biggest tournament of the fall.”” There will be 15 Division I teams in total in this tournament, and it will be a challenge for the Wildcats, who have been struggling so far.

The team has had trouble with consistency this year, especially finding a fourth and fifth starter to fill the rotation.

“”As much as it is a team game when we are out there, we have no one to lean on as far as that goes,”” said the team’s No. 1 golfer, senior Tarquin MacManus. “”When we get out on the course we have to play our own game, and I’m not in any position to control how the other guys play.””

MacManus has been active during the break between the team’s last tournament since he participated in The Asian Amateur Championship. He was invited to be a part of the Australian delegation because he is from Queensland, Australia.

“”The winner got an exemption to the Masters, and he got second,”” LaRose said. “”He played great, shot 10-under par. It is keeping him sharp because right now, playing here is a little tough because of the conditions.””

Women back in action

The Arizona women’s team has been out of action since Sept 28, but the No. 11 Lady Wildcats will be heading to Sin City to compete in the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown. The tournament starts Monday and continues until Wednesday and gives UA a chance to refine its skills.

The women have been very successful this season but were not happy with their finish at the Golfweek Conference Challenge, where they finished in second place.

“”Well with going to Japan our first week of class, these three weeks off gave the girls a good opportunity to get caught up on their school work,”” said women’s head coach Laura Ianello.

Ianello also believes that there is over seeding going on around golf courses in southern Arizona, but she was able to see the positive side of the situation.

“”A lot of golf courses are changing from Bermuda to Bentass,”” Ianello said. “”A lot of facilities aren’t in the best of conditions. But honestly I think it’s good because it gets the team to play in different conditions.””