Workshop interprets meaning of dreams

Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Valentina Martinelli

A dream workshop held last Friday gave students and Tucson residents the opportunity to interpret their dreams.

The workshop was the first of a series of dream workshops held at the Little Chapel of All Nations, which is located on First Street and Highland Avenue.

The calm lighting, paintings, spiritual figurines and scriptures painted on the wall provided a tranquil atmosphere.

“”When people analyze their dreams, they can enhance their lives. The group’s purpose is to promote not only spiritual enhancement, but personal transformation in terms of mental health and development,”” said Robert Lee, event coordinator and creator of the Alchemist Dream Association.

The session began with an introduction from each guest and a brief explanation of how dreams are affecting their lives. Following the introduction, guests took part in a five-minute meditation to center their mind, body and soul.

The workshop had a Jungian influence, inspired by the founder of analytical psychology, Carl Jung.

Lee made a point to remind guests that dreams are very personal for some people, and the chapel should be considered “”hermetically sealed.””

“”Hermes is bringing our dreams and keeping them sacred,”” Lee said.

Each guest gave their interpretations of each other’s dreams. Some took a logical stance when interpreting dreams and others took a more abstract approach.

Rebus, a representation of a phrase by pictures, is a particular approach to analyzing dreams, which was presented in the workshop. An example of rebus used in the dream discussion was that if a person dreams of a cat on a log, their dream could have some correlation to a catalog.

One guest described a specific dream he had that showed the name, “”F. Grimes”” written twice on a white sheet of paper. He explained that, prior to the dream, the name had no significance in his life. A couple weeks later, he traveled to his family’s house in Pennsylvania, where he noticed a white envelope. He could not remember the exact name, but the envelope had a name beginning with “”F”” followed by the last name, “”Grimes”” printed on it. The mysterious F. Grimes turned out to be a photographer the family had previously hired to take vacation photos. He never had the chance to meet F. Grimes.

“”Sharing dreams is a very personal experience that can help broaden people’s consciousness,”” said Kathryn Welch, a 33-year-old Tucson resident.