We ‘can’ do it

What’s free, local and would make both Mother Teresa and Andy Warhol proud in one fell swoop? If you’re thinking of American Institute of Architects’ Southern Arizona’s “”Canstruction”” exhibit, you’re thinking right. From Sept. 25 to Oct. 1, the Tucson Museum of Art is going to be “”the location for canstruction”” as it offers an exciting fusion of architecture, engineering and sculpture.

The American Institute of Architects Southern Arizona Chapter is an organization that promotes artistic excellence within the world of architecture and seeks to share this vision with public. In Tucson, they also inspire UA students by working with the College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.

As a part of Architecture Week 2010, the American Institute of Architects is bringing us “”Canstruction,”” an annual building and design competition. In the words of the organization, this contest “”brings together Tucson architecture and engineering offices to design and build sculptural installations using only canned food.”” The designs will be constructed in the lobby of the Tucson Museum of Art over a period of just a few hours on the morning of Sept. 25. Then, at around 10 a.m., the exhibit will be open to the public.

This exciting contest challenges architects to create large-scale sculptures out of an unconventional material. The designs are creative and impressive — subject matter can range anywhere from hot dogs and ketchup bottles to garden gnomes and beyond. Innovation is the key to success in the competition, so you’re sure to be surprised at what these groups are capable of building entirely out of cans.

On the morning of Oct. 1, the most creative canstruction will be awarded with special honors from the museum. Afterwards, the sculptures will be taken down, and the cans will be donated to the Community Food Bank.

The event is a subtle reminder that we’re all connected within the community. Whether you’re an art patron, an engineer or a charitable civilian, we can all come together to support both the arts and the sciences of architecture. In the words of the American Institute of Architects’ mission, we can make our towns and cities beautiful by “”encouraging design excellence in the built environment.”” And with this exhibit, we can also feed the hungry while we’re at it.