Police Beat: Oct. 8

Golfing gear grabbed from guy’s car

A UA student’s items were stolen from a parked car sometime between 10:55 a.m. and 12:35 a.m. on Wednesday.

At approximately 12:47 a.m., a University of Arizona Police Department officer investigated a theft in a parking lot on campus. Upon arriving, he talked with a UA student who owned the vehicle. The man stated he had parked his car in the middle section of the lot around 10:55 a.m.

The officer inspected the vehicle and found no signs of forced entry and didn’t recover any evidence. The man said he was sure he locked his car. He also said he had no idea who would steal his property.

The man inspected his car and said there was no damage related to the larceny. A tan cover for his center console, a golf bag, a hand-made driver with its pertaining cover, a set of seven irons, a two-ball putter with a cover, a sand wedge and some clothing, totaling more than $1,000, were taken from the car. The man stated he wanted to be part of all future criminal proceedings.

Man arrested asking for change

A man with no UA affiliation was arrested for two confirmed UA warrants on Wednesday.

At about 2:34 p.m. an officer was on bike patrol in the area of Old Main when he noticed a man stop by two women, apparently college students, who were walking north. One of the women started reaching inside of her backpack as the man waited.

The officer rode within 20 feet of the man when he noticed the officer’s presence and moved to leave the area. The officer made contact with him and asked him to stop.

“”OK, I was asking her for money, but I did not take any,”” the man said. The officer asked for the man’s identification. The man retrieved his wallet from his back pocket and handed him an Arizona ID card.

Before the officer asked any questions the man said he knew he couldn’t be on campus asking people for money. At this time, dispatch advised the officer that the man had two active warrants from UAPD. The warrants were confirmed. At 2:40 p.m. the man was taken under full custodial arrest. The officer handcuffed and searched him before placing him in the back of a patrol car.

The man was booked in Pima County Jail for one count of failure to appear on original charge of trespassing and one charge of failure to appear with the original charge of possession of stolen property. No evidence of property taken.

Keys and CatCard stolen from Rec Center

A UAPD officer received notice a student had his keys and CatCard stolen from the Student Recreation Center at 8:29 p.m. on Wednesday.

The officer went to meet the student in the parking lot of the center but was unable to locate the man. A few hours later the student re-contacted UAPD communication to make his report via telephone. The student told the officer his keys and CatCard had been stolen while he was playing basketball at the recreation center. He had left his keys on the side of the court at 4:15 p.m., and when he was done playing at 6:30 p.m., they were missing.

The student walked home, got the spare keys for his vehicle and came back to campus to get his car. The officer advised the student to contact the CatCard office and report his card stolen.

Cable lock cut once more

A UAPD officer was alerted of a stolen bicycle while on duty as a community service officer at 8:53 p.m. on Wednesday.

The officer contacted the owner of the bicycle, who had reported the incident, via telephone to get his report. The student said he had last seen his bicycle at 10:30 a.m. on Sept. 30, when he had locked it with a cable lock. He returned at about 1 p.m. on Monday and noticed it was missing.

The student gave the officer a description of the bicycle. He was unable to provide a serial number and stated the bike was not registered with Parking and Transportation Services. There were no suspects or witnesses.