As senior day approaches, Arizona women’s tennis team looks to stay hot

Ari Koslow

Arizona women’s tennis coach Ryan Stotland shows his team how to do a drill in practice. 

With the end of the regular season right around the corner for the Arizona women’s tennis team, the Wildcats will look to stay hot riding a four-match winning streak into the final two home matches this weekend.

“I have seen a lot of fight, which is what we always want to be known for,” head coach Ryan Stotland said. “We just don’t give up and the last match against Rice really showed it where we can be down but we’re never out of it.”

Arizona had lost three matches in a row prior to this winning streak, proving the perseverance that this team truly showcases on the court. 

“The teams we played in those three games were some of the best in the country, but we competed well against them,” Stotland said. “Maybe the score doesn’t show it on a couple of the courts, but we had our chances and so it gave us a little more belief in ourselves.”

This weekend won’t be easy as Arizona sees two top-20 teams come to town in No. 19 Stanford and No. 14  University of California, Berkeley.

“This weekend is so big for us as we have two of the best teams that can easily win the national championship and I think it will test us where we’re at,” Stotland said. 

RELATED: Arizona women’s tennis team continues to show the progress head coach Ryan Stotland envisioned

Arizona will celebrate seniors Khim Iglupas, Kirsten Prelle and Salma Ziouti on Saturday. 

“All three of them have brought so much to the team,” said junior Lexi Ryngler. “I have only been on it this season and just being around them all has been so special. The way they encourage everyone, lift everyone up and always have a smile on their faces at practice. it is just so much fun to be around.”

Arizona will host Stanford on Friday at 11 a.m. MST and Cal on Saturday at 12 p.m. MST for the final two home matches of the season. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter