Police Beat: Feb. 6

Liar, liar, pants on fire

A woman was walking next to the Music building when a man approached her to say he was selling magazines for points. The man identified himself as “Sean,” and said that the more magazines he sold, the more points he received to win a UA-sponsored scholarship. He picked out several magazines that he thought the woman might enjoy. The student expressed interest in the offer, and was asked to sign some paperwork, where she learned that her total price was $630. She said she didn’t realize that the magazines were so expensive, but the man replied, “You must pay this price because you already signed up for a membership.”

The woman then went to two different Wells Fargo ATMs and withdrew the money. The man convinced her to throw in an extra $90 for a few more magazines. The woman then pulled out more money, totaling $720. The man said he would give her a phone number to call, which would allow her to cancel the subscriptions and receive a full refund. As soon as the man walked away, the woman called the number to cancel her subscriptions, but the individual on the other line had never heard of the magazine deal before.

The woman said she would be able to complete a composite sketch of the man, saying he was a 6-foot-3, bulky, black man with acne scarring on his face. He was wearing a large-faced watch on his wrist and a long-sleeved red shirt. Wells Fargo reviewed video camera footage after the incident to possibly identify the man.

Caught red-handed

A student was traveling east on East Helen Street on his motorcycle at approximately 30 mph on Wednesday at 10:55 a.m. when he collided with a bicyclist making a left-hand turn from a parking lot. The student swerved and braked, causing him to be ejected from his motorcycle. University of Arizona Police Department officers said the motorcycle slid about 47 feet, scratching much of the motorcycle and the student himself. The bicyclist walked away with a small bruise on his thumb. The student fled the scene and parked his motorcycle several blocks down the street in a parking lot.

When the student returned home, UAPD officers were waiting for him after the bicyclist was able to match the motorcycle and the rider’s description. The student was cited for failing to remain at the scene of an injury accident, failing to control speed and not having a motorcycle license.

Grab and go

A student went to UAPD on Wednesday and told officers that he had been pickpocketed. The student said he was walking to class at 11:05 a.m. and could feel his wallet in his pocket. While he was in class, he realized he could no longer feel his wallet. He searched the surrounding areas where the wallet may have fallen out, but could only remember someone running into him right before class. He said he did not remember the person running into him because he did not think it was a big deal. The wallet contained his driver’s license, a CatCard, a $50 bill and numerous gift cards. There are no suspects at this time.