Dates you absolutely, positively need to know

Lindsey Otto

With a busy semester ahead, sometimes it’s easier to just follow the calendar. Above are the major events for the upcoming Fall 2018 semester. Information compiled by Eddie Celaya, graphic by Lindsey Otto.

Editor’s note: This article was produced as part of the Daily Wildcat‘s 2018 Campus Guide — the perfect resource for any incoming Wildcat. Whether you’re trying to find important dates, looking for a club to join or are interested in UA history and traditions, we’ll be there to help you get through your first semester. Welcome to the University of Arizona!  

August 20, First Day of Classes: Classes officially begin on August 20, 2018. This a day to get to know all of your professors, ask questions about the syllabus and to meet new classmates that could turn into study buddies and lifelong friends. 

September 1, First Home Football Game: The first home football game of the Kevin Sumlin era is against a familiar foe: Brigham Young University. The Wildcats last took on the Cougars in the 2008 Las Vegas Bowl. The Wildcats prevailed 31-21 against the Cougars under Senior QB Willie Tuitama. Historically, the Wildcats are 12-10 all-time against the Cougars. 

October 5-7, Family Weekend: Remember those folks that raised you? Well, this is a time to bond with them, and vice versa, as you show your folks around your beloved UA campus and take them to attend the Arizona vs. Cal football game.

October 21, A-Day: A-day is one of the great traditions at the University of Arizona. A viewing party is held on top of Main Gate Garage, with the Pride of Arizona Pep Band and other student organizations, to watch as Sentinel Peak, or A Mountain, located far west of campus on your way to Starr Pass, is lit with hundreds of red lights in honor of the University of Arizona’s “A” logo prior to the annual A-day Home football game. 

October 21-27, Homecoming: This is precisely the moment when freshmen truly feel a part of the Wildcat family. At this point, you’ve been a student for at least half a semester, and you now get to experience an entire week devoted to what makes the UA great, while being surrounded by alumni and fellow Wildcat fans. This weekend would not be complete without the traditional parade around the university mall, a massive pep rally ending in a bonfire in front of Old Main and the Wildcats defeating the University of Oregon Ducks.  

November 22-25, Thanksgiving Recess: What better holiday to fly home for or welcome your family to Tucson is there? A time to gather around those you love, think of what you are most thankful for, feast on great food and enjoy a few days off of school. 

December 5, Dead Day Eve: The evening before, as well as, the reading day, or “dead day,” is intended to be used to study for finals and relax, knowing that you have officially finished the regular semester. All you have left now is finals week.

December 7-13, Finals Week: It’s time to take those exams, so remember to breathe, drink plenty of water and to get plenty of sleep, and keep in mind every upperclassmen has been through your level of stress and lived. You will get through this. If you need extra help, reach out to an upperclassman and head over to the Think Tank for all of your tutoring needs.

December 14, Fall Graduation: This is a time for all seniors who are December 2018 graduates to celebrate having accomplished the ultimate feat at the University of Arizona: graduation. So, enjoy it if you are graduating at this point in time. For those of you not graduating, look at graduation as something to work towards whether you graduate in Fall or Spring.   

December 14 – January 8, Winter Break: This is a well-deserved, nearly four-week break from all things academic. Combine it with a celebration of the holiday season, and you’re set to relax. So, take a load off, spend time with your family and enjoy your reward for having survived the fall semester. For those of you taking winter classes, they commence December 17.

Follow Jon Rice on Twitter