FastFacts

In 1925, a giant sequoia located in California’s Kings Canyon National Park was named the national Christmas tree. The tree is more than 300 feet in height.

More turkeys are raised in California than in any other state in the United States.

Pacific Park, on the venerable Santa Monica Pier, re-creates the amusement parks once dotting the ocean areas along the Pacific Coast. Featured are 11 amusement rides including the 1910-vintage hand-carved merry-go-round that appeared in the movie “”The Sting.””

Alpine County is the eighth smallest of California’s 58 counties. It has no high school, ATMs, dentists, banks or traffic lights.

Fallbrook is known as the Avocado Capital of the World and hosts an annual Avocado Festival. More avocados are grown in the region than any other county in the nation.

In the late 1850s, Kennedy Mine, located in Jackson, served as one of the richest gold mines in the world and the deepest mine in North America.

Demonstrations on making toothpaste from orange by-products were popular attractions at the Los Angeles County fair in 1922. The fair is held in Pomona.

California Caverns claims the distinction of being the most extensive system of caverns and passageways in the Mother Lode region of the state.

Totaling nearly 3 million acres, San Bernardino County is the largest county in the country.

The first person to personally receive a star on the Walk of Fame in Hollywood was actress Joanne Woodward. She received it in 1960.

Death Valley is recognized as the hottest, driest place in the United States. It isn’t uncommon for the summer temperatures to reach more than 115 degrees Fahrenheit.