W-hoops back home after 2-0 road trip

The Arizona women’s basketball team aims to build on its best start since the 2001-02 season this morning when the Wildcats take on Arkansas Pine Bluff (0-2) at 11 a.m. in McKale Center.

Arizona (2-0), led by third-year head coach Niya Butts, is coming off of its second road win of the season – a two point victory at Ole Miss.

“”We’re just sharpening up some things and getting ready for the emotion (of another game),”” Butts said. “”We’ve still got to clean up some things that we’re doing defensively, especially our ball-screen defense, but we have a lot of things we’re doing well.””

Of the things that Arizona is doing well, rebounding stands out. After being a preseason concern for Butts, the Wildcats are out-rebounding their opponents by over 17 rebounds per game.

“”Defensively and offensively, rebounding the ball, we’ve really turned it up a notch,”” Butts said. “”I think (the players) just want to win, and they understand that if we’re going to do that, they need to rebound.””

Arizona’s newfound depth has also played a key role in the Wildcats’ early success this season.

“”At any point, you’re going to see different people with big stat lines,”” Butts said. “”I think that’s because we’re capable of doing that and we have that depth.””

That depth is also inexperienced. Arizona’s two biggest contributors off of the bench – Candice Warthen and Erica Barnes – are both freshmen.

But that youth has yet to rear its ugly head as Arizona heads into its last game before the Cancun Thanksgiving Classic, where the Wildcats will take on Texas A&M and Bradley.