Arizona starts road weekend with win at Cal

Claudio Cerrillo
Arizona and Utah take a brief break to talk strategy in the 3rd set. Arizona beat Utah on October 21st 3-1.

The Arizona volleyball team got its second Pac-12 road win of the season in Berkeley. The Wildcats defeated the California Golden Bears in four sets, extending their winning streak to six straight wins:

• Set 1- (25-20) Wildcats
  • Set 2- (18-25 ) Bears
  • Set 3- (25-23) Wildcats
  • Set 4- (25-23) Wildcats

Senior Merle Weidt led the team in kills with 16, followed by Sophomore prodigy Jaelyn Hodge with 12 kills. The team totaled 60 kills which has been their highest total so far in conference play. 

The match featured multiple tie scores, mainly in the first, third and fourth sets, totaling 25 tie scores. 

The Golden Bears totaled 48 total kills led by Senior Katie Smoot with 13 kills and Redshirt Junior Bella Bergmark with 12 kills. 

The Wildcats finished with an offensive hitting percentage of .293 compared to the Golden Bears’ .236.

One stat Arizona needs to be wary of moving forward is aces. The Golden Bears had seven aces to the Wildcats’ four. 

RELATED: Arizona volleyball wins a close matchup vs ASU to extend their winning streak to 5-games

This win marks a three-game win streak for Arizona vs. Cal extending to last season; the Wildcats have not lost to Cal since the 2019 season. While the Golden Bears fall to 0-3 in conference play the Wildcats are currently undefeated in conference play at 3-0. 

Friday night’s win is their first for the weekend during their road trip in Northern California. The Wildcats play at Stanford in Maple’s Pavilion on Sunday night against the 17-ranked Cardinal. 

Follow Jordan Pollock on Twitter