Alternative clubs on campus could help students find their ‘place’

Robert Alcaraz / Arizona Daily Wildcat Anthony McDonald, a computer science junior, plays Magic outside of The Cellar Bistro in the SUMC.

For students who may still be struggling to find their niche on campus, don’t be discouraged just yet. Here are some more obscure — but awesome — clubs that you may not have heard of, but definitely won’t regret checking out.

The University of Arizona Harry Potter Alliance

Join Dumbledore’s army in campaigns for social change. UAHPA is a chapter of the international non-profit alliance that dedicates itself to improving the world in any way possible. This alliance was founded in hopes of taking the powerful and well-received messages in the Harry Potter series and transforming them into a collaborated effort to improve the muggle world.

Brittani Phillips, president of the alliance, said, “HPA is about fighting the Voldemorts and Death Eaters of the real world.” Last year, UAHPA provided underprivileged Pueblo High School students with dresses, tuxedoes and corsages so that they would be able to attend their prom. UAHPA also donated seven trees and thirty goldfish to the Miles Exploratory Center Community Garden and sent 100 pages of signatures to the Warner Brothers office asking them to discontinue the non-fair trade chocolate in their Harry Potter candies.

UAHPA will commence its most recent community service project this week by establishing its first station for the Take a Book, Leave a Book program, giving students access to new, free books on campus. UAHPA’s meetings are every other Thursday in the Sabino Room on the third level of the Student Union Memorial Center. The next is Oct. 11 at 7 p.m.

Cars, Comics and Cards club

The Cars, Comics and Cards club offers philanthropy, car shows, video games and every other supposedly nerdy activity you could possibly fathom. These members love playing Yu-Gi-Oh!, World of Warcraft and Magic the Gathering trading card games, yet they raise money to cure cancer while they’re at it. They are also in the process of creating a video games tournament within the upcoming weeks, which will feature “Call of Duty” and the classic “Super Smash Bros,” amongst other awesome and exciting games.

CCC is always welcoming to prospective new members and anyone who has any ideas to contribute to their fun-filled gaming experience. CCC also holds the annual Car Show for Cancer, and its proceeds are donated to the American Cancer Society. The club raised more than $1,300 during last year’s philanthropy, and hopes to top that in this year’s event, taking place on Nov. 4th on the UA Mall.

Max Lewis, president of CCC encourages prospective members to “come for the experience and stay for the good times and awesome games.” Weekly gaming tournaments are held every Wednesday between the gaming rooms by The Cellar at 7 p.m. If you are interested in participating in this philanthropy or making a donation, check out the Car Shows for Cancer Facebook page.

Derby Cats

Roller derby could bring out a side of athleticism and bravery that may have been hidden all along. If you’re feeling rugged and don’t mind getting knocked around a little bit, check out this recently established club. Anyone with a lot or minimal roller derby ability is encouraged to come out and participate in the Derby Cats’ morning and evening practices.

“You can make new friends and discover a confidence that you never knew you had by playing derby,” said Derby Cats’ president Samantha Campas.

For now, the team is getting down the basics of becoming skilled skaters, hoping to progress to playing flat track derby in the very near future. The team is working toward hosting competitive games that anyone can come to watch and support. Strap on your roller skates and check out the Derby Cat’s practice on the UA mall any Tuesday at 7 p.m., and Friday at 5:30 p.m.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Sophia @50ph1a_23n0.