Film festival speaks for social justice

Poetic lyrics about how women relate to society through the media and personal accounts of how African-American women feel about their looks were some themes of short films shown yesterday as part of the Media That Matters Film Festival.

“”Everyone here is an advocate for social justice,”” said Danielle Miner, a graduate student in higher education and host of the festival.

The film festival was held in the Student Union Memorial Center and focused on social justice with particular attention to women’s issues.

Students and faculty members viewed the films and had a discussion and a debate afterward.

She said ordinary individuals made the films for the purpose of promoting social justice.

“”These films are bringing the principle of democracy into people’s homes,”” said Jennifer Hoefle, senior coordinator for social justice programs.

The first film, “”Slip of the Tongue,”” was a rhythmic story told by a man about how women relate to what the film said were “”unrealistic beauty standards”” created by magazines.

“”The media is always telling you what to look like,”” said Katie Sandler, a media arts senior.

“”A Girl Like Me,”” the second film, illustrated how African-American women feel about beauty, femininity and race.

The film focused on how young black women feel about what is beautiful and why Caucasian characteristics like light skin and straight hair are desirable.

Zachary Nicolazzo, a violence prevention specialist for OASIS, said watching “”A Girl Like Me”” is a great way to take action for social justice and understand the perspective of the African-American community and beyond.

The last film, “”I’m Not a Boy,”” told the story of a transgendered teenager living in New York City.

The teen faced challenges from parents, peers and his school, but was finally able to find comfort and acceptance among other gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered New Yorkers.

“”As a society, we are locked in as either/or. We sometimes forget the people in the middle,”” Sandler said.

“”The real problem is how do we move beyond the question and move towards a solution,”” Miner said. “”If you have a copy of (Cosmopolitan magazine) at home, throw it out.””