Class of 2022 grads entered a sizzling hot job market

Heather Newberry
A University of Arizona student looks through Handshake in 2017. Handshake is an online job listing service that can help college students find work or internships.

The University of Arizona’s class of 2022 graduated from college just as the job market heated up.

Evan Taylor, a UA economics professor specializing in labor economics, described the current state of the job market as the best he’s seen in a long time. 

“[There are] a record number of openings, as well as unemployment only being at [3.6%],” Taylor said.

This all adds up to a lot of opportunities for recent graduates like Matt Brown.

Brown, who received a degree in economics, said his entire job search lasted three weeks before he landed a sales position with Techtronic Industries. 

“It was relatively easy, especially with the resources from the Eller College of Management,” Brown said.

He also said he turned down offers before accepting Techtronic’s.

Nick Wilson, who received an accounting degree, said he spent “roughly six to eight weeks, with a lot of tedious time on Handshake and different firms’ websites” before getting a job offer from the public accounting firm KPMG. 

Wilson turned it down, though, and opted instead to pursue grad school. He said he would like to eventually become a Certified Public Accountant, which typically requires specific educational requirements beyond a bachelor’s degree in accounting.

The job market is especially optimistic for those with STEM and business degrees, outpacing other fields, according to Taylor. He said that all of the doctoral students he had worked with had found jobs in a very short period of time.

*El Inde Arizona is a news service of the University of Arizona School of Journalism.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter