Condoms for a cause on campus

Hump smarter, save the snail darter. Wrap with care, save the polar bear. Cover your tweedle, save the burying beetle.

These are some of the slogans on the Endangered Species Condoms packages, which will be distributed on the UA campus today by half a dozen volunteer students.

The condoms are provided by the Tucson Center for Biological Diversity, which works to secure a future for all species.

The Center for Biological Diversity has already mailed out more than 100,000 condom packets to volunteers for distribution and plans on ordering more because of the high demand.

“”We want to reach the college demographic because these folks haven’t really made choices about reproduction,”” said Randy Serraglio, a conservation advocate for the Center of Biological Diversity.

The Center for Biological Diversity will not distribute the condoms as an organization. Instead they sent out the condoms for volunteers to distribute.

Christine Filer, a communication senior, decided to distribute condoms on campus after receiving an e-mail from the center’s listserv.

“”I really support what this organization is doing, so if I can help without even leaving campus, it’s great,”” Filer said. “”It’s really neat that I can do this on my own time.”” 

The Center for Biological Diversity mailed the condoms straight to Filer’s residence.

She is unsure how to distribute the condoms, but she says she doesn’t believe she will have a problem giving them away.

“”Passing out condoms and information on this issue is great, especially with Valentine’s Day coming up,”” Filer said. “”I think it’s a really ingenious idea because it’s not something I’d think to do but it will spread awareness in an unexpected, different way.””

The organization aims to address overpopulation.

“”For many years, overpopulation has been an elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about,”” Serraglio said. “”The whole point of this campaign is to bring this issue into mainstream and get people thinking about it in constructive way.””

The main issues threatening different species on earth are climate change, competition for water and other resources and land use change, Serraglio said.

“”Those factors are all driven by population pressures,”” he said.

The packets contain two Lifestyle brand condoms and feature artwork and information about endangered species, as well as information on how overpopulation contributes to extinction. 

“”This is such a cool idea,”” said Victoria Newcomb, an engineering freshman. “”These are so funny,”” she added as she looked at the condom packets in between bouts of laughter.

Chemistry freshman Sydney Walden agreed.

“”It’s a creative idea, despite the fact that it’s used for condoms,”” she said. “”It’s a humorous way to get someone’s attention.””