Slippery sandal social snags students on Mall

From left to right, undecidied freshman Erika Wolkoff, journalism freshman Jenna Passin and undecided freshman Perri Jacobs purchase flip flops on the UA Mall yesterday while studio art senior Courtney Minton puts the sandals together.

Havaianas Sandals are giving away a free trip to Brazil today on the UA Mall.

Rachel Greenstein, marketing manager for Havaianas said that the program is part of an initiative to gain brand recognition among college students through an event called “”Color War.””

“”It’s a two-day event. The first day, we’re doing the pop-up store to get people excited and build brand awareness … for day-two, which is Color War in which kids can interact,”” Greenstein said. “”(The winning team) gets a chance … to go to Brazil for spring break.””

In today’s event, students form teams of six and compete in Twister, sliders, limbo and balloon darts in order to accumulate points. Greenstein said that the team who then accumulates the most points will win the free trip to Brazil.

Kimberly Moore, an international business freshman, said that after a friend told her about the free trip to Brazil, she rushed to sign up for today’s competition.

“”The reason I came over (to look at the stand) was because of Brazil,”” Moore said. “”I’m going into international business, so I thought it would be kind of cool to go to Brazil and I think that it’s great that they are doing the sandals and stuff.””

As part of promoting today’s games, yesterday’s pop-up store was selling customizable sandals for $15, which Greenstein said could retail for as high as $28.

Jessica Bowler, a pre-business sophomore and UA brand ambassador for Havaiana, said that this event provides a great opportunity for students to get involved, have some fun and win a free trip to Brazil.

“”People really are excited about (Color Wars) … We were a little nervous because we had never done anything like this before, trying to get people to come to an event,”” Bowler said. “”So far, we have a lot of teams signed up – we’re still trying to get more, but it has been fun.””

After leaving campus, the UA Havaianas will travel to Arizona State University, University of Colorado at Bolder, North Carolina State and the University of Southern California, Bowler said.

“”We decided to come (to the UA) because it is hot, and we feel like you guys are a pretty fashionable school and I know that you guys all love sandals,”” Greenstein said. “”We’re trying to build brand awareness, and this was pretty much our top school in terms of school spirit and people who really live the college lifestyle.””