BREAKING: ALL CLEAR: TPD gives ‘all clear’ for Speedway Boulevard near campus

Alex McIntyre

Tucson Police vehicles dot Speedway Boulevard adjacent to the UA campus around 3:00 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 2. Tucson Police have closed Speedway between North Cherry Avenue and North Campbell Avenue to investigate a suspicious object found at 1711 E. Speedway, according to Tucson Police spokesman Kimberly Bay on Twitter.

Tucson Police Department has given the all-clear and is re-opening East Speedway Boulevard after investigating a suspicious package found at 1711 E. Speedway Boulevard, officials said.

The UA issued a UAlert warning students to avoid the area between North Cherry Avenue and North Campbell Avenue on East Speedway Boulevard around 2 a.m. The area was closed to traffic.

According to a UAlert, officials evacuated Babcock Hall as of 2:30 a.m.

Residents of Babcock say they were awoken just before 2 a.m. by a fire alarm, but quickly realized it wasn’t a standard drill.

“We walked out of our dorm and there were already two cop cars there,” said Cooper Gregory, a psychology freshman. 

Gregory and two other freshmen residents, Zach Edwards and Blake Thompson, said their resident advisors told them they wouldn’t be able to return to their rooms for at least 45 minutes.

The TPD Bomb Squad arrived just before 3 a.m., and the all-clear was issued via Twitter and UAlert around 4 a.m. An officer with the University of Arizona Police Department confirmed the all-clear.

Residents of Babcock Hall may return to their rooms, according to the alert.

This story will be updated as information becomes available.

Follow Alex McIntyre on Twitter.