Police Beat: September 4

We rollin’, we smokin’

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested Sunday on charges of weapon misconduct, possession of marijuana, driving without a license and failure to stay in a lane.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer pulled over a man driving a black Mercedes-Benz at 12:58 a.m. after seeing the vehicle drift into other traffic lanes multiple times.

Upon contact with the driver, the officer explained the reason for the stop and asked the man for his driver’s license, proof of insurance and vehicle registration.

The officer noticed that the driver began to profusely sweat and would not look him in the eye. The driver said he did not have a valid Arizona driver’s license and his car had been previously impounded for that reason. The officer advised him that the vehicle would have to be impounded again for the same reason.

After citing the driver for driving without a license, a search of the car was conducted. The officer smelled a strong scent of marijuana coming from a black backpack in the car. When the officer opened the backpack, he found a loaded .357-caliber revolver with a large glass jar that contained two large baggies of marijuana.

The driver was arrested and booked at Pima County Jail.

Uber wasted

A UA student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office Sunday after a UAPD officer found the student sitting on the curb at Fourth Street and Highland Avenue and apparently crying on the phone.

The officer went to find the girl after an Uber driver flagged him down and advised him to check on her. She had just exited his vehicle.

The Uber driver said he was giving the girl a ride to her residence hall when she suddenly exited the car at the intersection of Fourth Street and Highland Avenue. The student told the Uber driver that she had been previously vomiting and needed to exit the car.

The student was speaking to her mother on the phone, saying she drank something at a party and now felt very sick. She handed the officer the phone and he spoke to her mother as well. The mother told him that her daughter is on medication and that may have caused her to feel sick after consuming alcohol.

After returning the phone back to the student, the officer noticed that she had very slurred speech, a strong smell of alcohol coming from her breath and bloodshot eyes. The student said she was at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house for a party and consumed two mixed drinks and five shots. She called her uncle to pick her up. The uncle said he would take responsibility of her if she did not need medical attention.

The student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for a minor in bodily possession of alcohol.