LiveWire: Read what newspapers around the country think about the latest news

Are students ‘gutless’…

Recent surveys confirm that university faculties have been tilting steadily leftward, but I think it is wrong to assume they have been tilting toward “”liberalism,”” as is commonly assumed. Liberalism worthy of the name emphasizes freedom of the individual, democracy and the rule of law. Liberalism is prepared to fight for those freedoms through constitutional participatory government, and to protect those freedoms, in battle if necessary. What we see on the American campus is not liberalism, but a gutted and gutless “”gliberalism,”” that leaves to others the responsibility for governance, and arrogates to itself the right to criticize. It accepts money from the public purse without assuming reciprocal duties for the public good. Instead of debating public policy in the public arena, faculty says, “”I quit,”” but then continues to draw benefits from the system it will not protect.

– Ruth Wisse in The Wall Street Journal

…or just ‘skeptics’?

Every potential soldier who chooses to remain a civilian has a different motivation for forgoing combat boots in favor of civvies. Certainly, for some, the motivation is economic: That investment bank will pay more and will only metaphorically ask new hires to give up their lives. For others, the motivation is professional: Someone with an interest in the history of Renaissance art or Milton’s poetry is not likely to find a niche in the armed forces. But rather than blaming low enlistment rates on apathy or cynicism, the News would argue that by choosing not to enlist – and, with the war such a common topic of discussion, everyone has at some point considered, however briefly, whether dress blues could be for them – our generation is choosing instead to maintain the healthy skepticism that has been part of America since our Constitution writers thought up the idea of a balance of powers.

– Yale University’s Yale Daily News

Time to burn rubber?

We believe the Iraq War is bigger than our president. Bush’s word has failed to deliver before, and we have no confidence in his ability to predict or control future events. If the time comes that Bush has to once again say all the evidence pointed one way and we were just all collectively wrong, it may be too late to avoid a larger and more dangerous struggle.

– Ohio State University’s The Lantern

Make written protests, not war

When 10 or so people gather on a corner in a sleepy town ð- such as Gainesville – with their posters (“”Honk if you hate Bush!””) and flags, well, it just doesn’t have the same effect. Sure, they may get some personal satisfaction from hearing a few horns and feel like they’ve done something, but the truth is, they haven’t. Only the homeless are listening to them – not the nation or the rest of the world, as was the case for the Washington march. Those protesters would be better off writing to their senators. Or taking showers, because they’re mostly dirty hippies. The only way to convince Congress that it should deny Bush his troop increase is to effectively show them that the American people will not stand for it.

– The University of Florida’s Independent Florida Alligator

Opinions Board
    Opinions are determined by the Wildcat opinions board and written by one of its members. They are Justyn Dillingham, Allison Hornick, Damion LeeNatali, Stan Molever, Nicole Santa Cruz and Matt Stone.