CatsRidde yet to give first ride

A free designated driving service on weekends that began three weeks ago has yet to give any rides, but organizers said the slow response from students hasn’t squandered their hopes of making it a strong program.

Cats Realizing the Importance of a Designated Driver Escort, a new student government program, has had no takers in its first three weeks of operation, though up to 30 students have signed waivers to be eligible to use the service, which that runs from 10 p.m. Saturday to 3 a.m. Sunday, said Ryan Montana Erickson, chairman of finances for CatsRidde.

“”It’s getting toward the end of the semester,”” said Erickson, a public management and policy junior. “”Tests and group projects are coming up, and people just aren’t going out as much.””

Though the Associated Students of the University of Arizona program has had a slow early response – just three calls were made this weekend, but the students hadn’t signed the waiver – Erickson said CatsRidde organizers are hoping to promote the program for the remainder of the semester by spreading the word to residence halls and greek houses.

“”We’re thinking of implementing drop boxes around campus for people to turn in the waivers, really anything to help make it more convenient for students,”” he said.

To start out the next school year strong, he said the organization will also provide information in packets handed out during freshman orientation.

Jason Cobb, founder of CatsRidde, said it has been disappointing not to see students using the service after all the hard work and dedication organizers have invested.

“”It just got started, so getting the word of mouth out to students is what needs to occur,”” said Cobb, a first-year medical student.

Cobb said drop boxes around campus will make it more convenient for students because many of them don’t know where the ASUA office is located.

“”I really hope we get the program going,”” Cobb said. “”It’s really a great service for students to use because it’s free and easy to use.””

In order to use the service for the rest of the semester on Saturday nights, students must print out and sign a waiver, which can be found at www.asua.arizona.edu under downloads, and turn it in to the ASUA offices on the third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center, Erickson said.

Anyone without a signed waiver cannot ride for liability reasons, and those asking for rides without signing up will be referred to a taxi, Erickson said.