“Fritze talks guns, tuition”

ASUA President Emily Fritze went over some of the controversial topics circulating campus at the Wednesday ASUA meeting.

Fritze said she thought the Associated Students of the University of Arizona’s stance on UA tuition and fees had been considered by the Arizona Board of Regents. The board members approved increases for both tuition and fees during their meeting April 7 and 8.

She said ASUA had a victory in a “”glass half full sense”” because the initial proposal was rejected, but she said it was unfortunate that the regents did not go through mandatory fees individually.

“”This was the most heated conversation at an actual public meeting that I’ve seen,”” Fritze said.

She also spoke about the bill approved by the Arizona House of Representatives last Thursday that would allow firearms to be carried in certain areas on campus. The bill is awaiting final approval from Gov. Jan Brewer.

“”At this point, anybody who feels the need to do so, I encourage you to contact the governor’s office,”” Fritze said. “”We will just have to wait and see what happens.””

Fritze noted that the governor has received ASUA’s resolution of opposition.

She also reminded the senate that students will campaign once again for ASUA president next week. Fritze said a public forum is in the works for April 19. The presidential election results and, “”cross my fingers, a new president”” will be announced April 21.