Mailbag

Donation takes toll on families, too

Last Tuesday’s article about Alex Kula and the effect organ donation has had on his life was an uplifting piece of journalism for which the Daily Wildcat deserves commendation. Unfortunately, the article didn’t touch on one important facet of organ donation: the toll it can take on donors. It’s a subject that’s particularly close to me.

On Sept. 2, 2006, my older brother Brian was riding his motorcycle along a road in Bonsall, Calif., when he lost control of the bike and went off the road. Despite the best efforts of the fine staff of Palomar Medical Center, Brian was declared braindead two days later. When it became clear that Brian would never wake up and that, due to his young age and relative health at the time of the accident, many of his organs were viable for donation, my parents made the decision to donate as much as they could, without hesitation.

His corneas were put to use immediately by the San Diego Eye Bank. Several skin grafts were removed and taken to the Burn Unit at the USCD Medical Center. Immediately after being taken from his body, his heart was taken to be transported to Phoenix for transplant. A gentleman named George Kaufer received both of Brian’s lungs and currently corresponds with my parents via e-mail. Brian’s pancreas and left kidney went to another gentleman named Danny Kohler, who, before the transplant, had to undergo dialysis and take insulin on a daily basis. When my parents traveled up to Pasadena to help decorate a Rose Parade float dedicated to organ donors, they met Mr. Kohler. I have seen pictures of him and he looks as healthy as can be. He does not look like a man whose life was so controlled by his medical conditions just a few years ago. Furthermore, Brian’s right kidney and his liver were also succesfully transplanted.

The loss of my brother pains me to this day, but the pain is somewhat dulled by the sheer amount of good he has done even after his death. It conflicts me to want my brother back, because if Brian hadn’t died, then so many people’s lives wouldn’t have been changed for the better. I think about it every time I look at the two wristbands on my left wrist: a black one noting Brian’s dates of birth and death, and a green one that says both “”Donate Life”” and “”Done Vida.”” Both of them remind me that, although organ donation does help many people, like Alex Kula, it doesn’t always end completely happy for everyone involved. Despite how hard it’s been in the almost two years since Brian passed away, I have to thank the Daily Wildcat for bringing attention to a subject that is very dear to my family and I. On behalf of my parents and my brother, thank you very much.

Kevin Rand Wos
    political science freshman

Gossip sites unkind

With all the hoopla arising from TheDirty.com, I feel the need to put in my two cents. Gossip sites like these are nothing more than a place to anonymously bash your peers. Sure you may say it’s all for a laugh, but it is at someone else’s expense. I feel sorry for people who are posted on these sites, but I also feel sorry for those who do the posting. In order to respect others you must first be able to respect yourself. Sites like these allow people to feel better about themselves by putting others down. Believe it or not, it is much more honorable and attractive to be kind than to be critical and sarcastic. People may contribute laughter to your cruelty, but it may be out of avoiding being your next victim.

Emily Blake
    journalism freshman

Bicyclists: Are you illiterate?

I know everyone has somewhere to go and they make sure to get there in a minute or less. When you see a stop sign however, stop! The rules don’t only apply to cars, and they’re there to protect you, pedestrians and drivers. So follow the rules and don’t get hurt! And on a side note, you can still get a ticket!

Vinhson Nguyen
    optical sciences sophomore