Pellington’s career night not enough, No. 6 Arizona’s WBB loses to ASU 81-77

Nathanial Stenchever

Shaina Pellington, a senior on the Arizona women’s basketball team, stands at the free-throw line and shoots on Nov. 9 in McKale Center. The Wildcats went on to win 87-44 against California State North Ridge.

Despite a career-high 30 points from Shaina Pellington, ASU beat the No. 6 Arizona women’s basketball team on Friday, Feb. 11, in Tempe. 

The first quarter was a back and forth battle between Arizona and ASU. ASU started the scoring but Pellington helped keep the game close as Arizona struggled to finish shots around the rim. 

She scored nine in the quarter on 3-3 shooting and went 3-5 from the line. They also got massively out-rebounded by ASU 15-3. ASU capitalized on these extra opportunities and the quarter ended with the Wildcats down 25-22. 

ASU turned up the heat in the second quarter as Arizona struggled on both ends of the court. Taylor Chavez’s defense in the last minute helped Arizona keep ASU’s lead at 8 point going into halftime, forcing a turnover and getting a block in back-to-back plays. 

Pellington and Cate Reese led the team with 15 points at halftime for Pellington and 9 for Reese. Arizona shot 11-28 in the half and 0-5 from deep. A bright spot as the team struggled in the half was their ability to get to the free-throw line, going 12-16. ASU shot 14-28 and 5-6 from deep to go into the half up 42-34. 

RELATED: Arizona WBB’s Cate Reese named to Naismith Trophy midseason team

Arizona continued to struggle offensively in the third quarter and had the same rebounding issues and defensive lapses that kept ASU in the driver’s seat for a large part of the third quarter. Helena Pueyo hit Arizona’s first 3-pointer of the game with 3:47 left in the third quarter. 

In the final minute of the quarter, Arizona looked more put together and was able to string together some successful offensive and defensive plays. Sam Thomas hit a three to bring the lead to 9 points at the end of the quarter. Thomas scored 8 points in the quarter to help keep the game within reach. ASU led 61-52 at the end of the third quarter. 

Reese took an elbow to the face at the start of the fourth quarter and headed into the locker room but returned to the court quickly. Arizona basketball play was led by Pellington. Pellington put up 11 points in the quarter to bring the Wildcats within 1.

At the four-minute mark, head coach Adia Barnes brought Reese back in. Reese immediately scored a 3-pointer and a layup to give Arizona its first lead of the game. Arizona then had an over and back violation and a technical foul, which gave ASU a 4-point swing. ASU’s Jade Loville hit a jumper to make the score 78-73 and seal the game. 

Reese scored 18 on 8-18 from the field and 1-4 from the 3-point line. Thomas also added 14 points on 3-7 from the field and 2-4 from the 3-point line. She also added 6 from the free-throw line, going 6-8. 

Arizona’s record now stands at 17-4 and will play ASU again on Sunday, Feb. 13, in McKale Center in Tucson at 12 p.m. 

Follow Asher Bookspan on Twitter