ASUA sees new faces for 2010

The senators of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona will kick off the new semester with the appointments of Jen Dang as a justice to the ASUA Supreme Court and Mollie Beshears as director for ASUA’s annual Bear Down Camp.

Their first meeting this semester will take place in the Ventana room of the Student Union Memorial Center at 5 p.m. tomorrow.

Dang, a first year student at the James E. Rogers College of Law, graduated from the UA in May 2009 after serving in ASUA as an undergrad. She will serve with Brian Chase, who was appointed in November, and three other law students.

“”She has an appreciation and background knowledge of ASUA as an organization too and will add some familiarity and institutional knowledge,”” said ASUA President Chris Nagata who appointed both Dang and Chase.

The ASUA Supreme Court settles conflicts relating to the enforcement of the constitution and bylaws of ASUA, including elections and interpreting the powers of the student government.

Beshears, an agricultural and life sciences freshman, will be in charge of planning ASUA’s annual Bear Down Camp. About 80 incoming freshmen are selected every year to participate in a team building and orientation retreat designed to introduce them to university life.

“”For a freshman, she was really impressive,”” said ASUA Administrative Vice President Gabriella Ziccarelli, who appointed Beshears. “”She’s really well prepared for this position.””

Ziccarelli said Beshears planned smaller-scale events while in high school and came prepared to her interview with a presentation on expanding Bear Down Camp to involve businesses in the Tucson community and extend the attendance level to 200 students.

Though there are no additional legislative items scheduled tomorrow night, students are welcome to address the Senate during the regular call to the audience and listen to the reports given by each individual senator and Nagata.

“”It’s really important for students to pay attention to student government, especially in a semester like this,”” said Executive Vice President Emily Fritze, who oversees the Senate.

Fritze said ASUA will be heavily involved in tuition and fee setting in the upcoming semester.