New Buffalo Exchange opening downtown

New Buffalo Exchange opening downtown

By the end of the month, the Tucson-founded Buffalo Exchange clothing/thrift store will open its third store in the city in the heart of downtown.

East of Sixth Avenue, the new Buffalo Exchange at 250 E. Congress St. used to be a famed downtown café. Its hardwood floors were repurposed from McKale Center. The 100-year-old brick walls and high-tin ceilings were in mid-renovation by the space’s previous owner before Kerstin Block decided to get into the mix.

It’s all a part of what Tucson is about.

“”Every Buffalo Exchange takes on a local feel, and the choice (was) to be a part of what is happening in downtown,”” said Block, owner of the Buffalo Exchange chain. “”Just to be in that environment is going to be great.””

It took about eight months to remodel the space, leaving unpainted brick walls to accompany five dressing rooms and two of the Exchange’s famed buy counters, at which customers can come in and sell their old clothes for cash or trade. Block said this especially appeals to a student demographic.

“”Students like it because they can get really nice clothes for really inexpensive money,”” she said, “”and they can sell their things back for trade. We see ourselves on every level as a fashion retailer.””

A store focused on sold and traded local apparel, the new Exchange will feature recycled items from each of the 15 states in which the franchise operates. Block said that the downtown section of Tucson was ideal to meet the demographic of people who frequent her stores.

“”Our customers will come to us downtown,”” she said. “”We try to locate our stores where we think our customers are. … People probably wouldn’t come to visit us over on Oracle. The look in Saddlebrook (Ariz.) would be much different.””

Hours for the new location have not yet been set, but will be announced soon.

“”We’re very excited to open,”” Block said.