Former Stanford professor Dr. Michael Dake named next VP of Health Sciences

Carmen Valencia

Banner-Health University Medical Center Tucson located on Campbell Avenue and Sixth Street on Feb. 23.  On Thursday, April 12, Dr. Michael Dake was named the new vice president of Health Sciences.

University of Arizona President Dr. Robert Robbins announced he chose Dr. Michael Dake to serve as senior vice president for Health Sciences on Thursday, April 12. 

“Securing innovative, ethical and visionary leadership for the UA Health Sciences has been one of my priorities since arriving at the UA,” Robbins wrote in an emailed press release. “And Dr. Dake joining the UA family accomplishes that goal.” 

Dake is coming to the UA from Stanford University, where he served in multiple positions. Most recently, he was a professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery and director of Catheterization and Angiography Laboratories at Stanford Medical Center.  Dake is also a published researcher, known for improving vascular health. 

Dake also served as chairman of the Department of Radiology and was the Harrison Distinguished Medical Teaching Professor of Radiology for the Virginia Health System from 2005–2008. 

Serving in a leadership role that reports directly to Robbins, Dake will oversee education and research activity among the UA Health Sciences colleges, centers and clinical affiliates, Robbins said.

Dake will collaborate with teams at the UA and Banner Health to build stronger research, education and clinical care competitiveness. 

“I am excited to work with him as we complete our strategic planning process and implement a new vision for the UA’s future,” Robbins said.

Dake will begin his new role at the UA on June 4. 

Follow Jordan Williams on Twitter