W-tennis freshman hospitalized

Arizona women’s tennis freshman Natasha Marks was hospitalized Monday due to troubles with her appendix, said assistant coach Ryan Stotland.

The Nottingham, England, native was placed into the emergency room of University Medical Center. At around 6 Monday evening, Stotland said the hospital’s medical staff was still running tests and that he wasn’t sure of the severity of Marks’ condition.

“”I don’t know how bad it is and if she needs surgery or not,”” Stotland said from UMC. “” … I don’t know if they’re taking it out now or if they’re going to do it later or what.””

The coach said temporarily losing the play of Marks wouldn’t affect the Wildcats in the Riviera All-American Main Draw & Qual in Los Angeles, which runs today through Oct. 5. Six Wildcats were scheduled to compete, but only five will now.

The tournament will feature senior Danielle Steinberg and sophomore Claire Cox in doubles competition and Steinberg as an individual. The players’ performances will determine how long they stay at the tournament.

“”They can go for an extra week if they keep winning or they can go home if they lose right away,”” Stotland said.

But staying will be easier said than done.

“”The All-American tournament is a preview of the best competition in the country,”” UA head coach Vicky Maes said in a press release. “”There are no easy matches here.””

The Wildcats will undoubtedly miss the presence of Marks, who won three individual matches this past weekend at the California Nike Invitational. But with or without Marks, the team will continue to improve match by match as the fall season progresses.

“”I think everyone’s improved a lot, and I think everyone’s improved with what they’ve done,”” Stotland said. “”We’re going to strive to continue to get better. There’s a great team atmosphere. I haven’t heard a single complaint.””